+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "Right sized" backyard operation?

This is by far the most honest and helpful thread I've come across on these forums. Not that the other threads aren't honest! Quite the opposite, I've never come across another industry that is so helpful and welcoming. But I can't help but notice that so much of the forums, equipment, and resources available to us are only focused on making MORE. Even down to our forum signatures (I'm as guilty as anyone), how many have you come across that show fewer taps every year? There's this subtle pressure everywhere you look that says expanding is the only option. I'm only in my third year of this and I love it, but with three young kids I really have to balance my resources carefully and avoid overextending myself. With 30 buckets I'll probably end up with 5-7 gals this year, and as I stare at the maples a little further down the road I find myself asking whether another 2-3 gals would really make a difference in the quality of the experience. Lately I've been trying to think about it like I approached teaching the kids how to ski: always go out on a high note and leave them wanting more. It's helped me have some perspective and maintain reasonable expectations. I'm really happy with the amount of time I spend on this right now, and my goal is to avoid adding anything that will increase that obligation and take away from the fun.
    2020 - 7 Late Taps, Open Fire, 1 qt
    2021 - 25 Taps, Barrel Evap, Bucket RO...Fever Setting In! Made 2.5 gal
    2022 - 30 Taps, 5 gal
    2023 - 30 Taps, Blower Fan, Insulated Evap

Kstevens,
    FOR Sure two or three more gals would always help the situation! Wait, maybe you mean gallons of syrup? Anyway the act of watching water boil goes way back to the cave man days. Staying up late, playing with fire, and tasting very sweet syrup seem to keep drawing folks to the production of pure maple syrup and beyond. Then the Guy gene kicks in, and what if we did just a little more? Look more maples in bills yard next door........ ! And away we go!
    Keep boiling!
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

I think part of it is human nature, or at least the nature of people who make syrup. Maybe a combination of:

1) tinkering
    2) improve on what we already have
    3) the notion that with just a little more effort we can make even more lol
    4) want something new to look forward to

Since I'm in a suburban area I'm limited as to how much I can expand; all my trees are on other property. But I'm happy with the size of my operation and now just look forward each year to slight improvements.
    Dave Barker
    2014 30 taps, steam tray pans
    2015 ~100 taps, in conjunction with University of Louisville
    2x5 Smoky Lake hybrid pan
    2022 150 taps

@sugarmaker I know what you mean! I gaze into that evaporator pan like it can tell the future. Something so magnetic about it.
    2020 - 7 Late Taps, Open Fire, 1 qt
    2021 - 25 Taps, Barrel Evap, Bucket RO...Fever Setting In! Made 2.5 gal
    2022 - 30 Taps, 5 gal
    2023 - 30 Taps, Blower Fan, Insulated Evap

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123