+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 9" CDL Vacuum Filter/Bottler Review

I ended up not using the DE and it worked well enough. I cannot tell as to clarity as my syrup is always pretty dark anyways. I've never not produced dark syrup on my 2X3 which is either an indictment on my sap (mostly from silvers, I think) or on my boiling technique. A couple of years the early season stuff has come out not as dark. Anyways, I will hold on to the CDL as it makes jarring a lot easier than the old coffee urn. I would like to see a pic of how the fittings from the vacuum pump to the vacuum valve are set up. Seems like you'd need a lot of reducers in the connection.
    2024 - New Maine resident, 12X12 sugar shack under construction
    2019 - New 12X12 boiling pavilion
    2018 - New Mason 2X3 Hobby XL and homemade RO

I haven’t mastered putting pictures online but there’s no reducers. The plumbing is very simple. 1/4” male npt with 3/8” hose barbs. Brass ball valves with 1/4” female npt ends. Everything, including hose available at Lowe’s, Home Depot, or your local hardware store. I’m not sure what CDL uses to connect the vacuum line to the filter but it should be easy to adapt.

Conococheague

So I bought the coffee urn type of dispenser for this and it was the wrong size. The 9" output is all 1/2" tubing size, and I bought the 3/4" coupler with the coffee urn adapter. I'll need to return it.

What worked for me instead was to pull a silicon funnel over the draw off elbow which reduced the output size to something I could fit inside the bottle opening. It stayed put through 7L of hot syrup and I'm very happy with the improvement. No more syrup down the sides of the bottles.

Funnels like these... I used the green one.
    https://www.starfrit.com/en/3-piece-silicone-funnel-set

2015 - 8 buckets, 332L sap, 8.5L syrup - Barrel evaporator, 2 steam pans
    2016 - 8 buckets, 432L sap
    2017 - 10 bags, 470L sap, 9L syrup
    2018 - 20 bags, 1050L sap, 17.6L syrup
    2019 - 20 bags, 970L sap, 22.2L syrup
    2020 - 17 bags, 813L sap, 17L syrup

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345