+ Reply to Thread

Thread: La Crosse County (aka God's Country)

Default La Crosse County (aka God's Country)

Been on Mapletrader awhile now, and haven't seen much posting for my region lately. So, figured maybe start a new thread for us Western Sconie' sapsuckers. Temps here look like this weekend is a go for me. Getting ready to head out tomorrow to pull my lines and likely tap on Sunday. Been busy gathering supplies, prepping equipment and cutting wood last couple weeks in anticipation. Got high hopes for a good run after some subpar seasons last couple years. Up to about 100 taps on mix of lines and bags. Best of luck to all in the same area, and hope to hear/read how others seasons pan out.

Hopefully others in your area will chime in.
    The wood you've been cutting, I hope it's for next year. Firewood must be dry to get a proper and efficient boil. Split it Wrist size. Then burn is as fast as you can when making maple syrup.
    Good luck!
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I actually live in your area but my trees are 2hrs north. Was at the cabin yesterday and thought about tapping (I'm a big producer 27 taps) but maybe next week. This should be your start. My son taps a few yard trees in Onalaska. Good luck to you. Do you tap right in or close to LaCrosse?

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    Hopefully others in your area will chime in.
    The wood you've been cutting, I hope it's for next year. Firewood must be dry to get a proper and efficient boil. Split it Wrist size. Then burn is as fast as you can when making maple syrup.
    Good luck!
    Maple flats, not my first rodeo, been cutting wood since I was cutting teeth. It's well seasoned firewood I'm getting bucked up. Us Wisconsin boys (and girls) are born and bred for this.

Quote Originally Posted by mdm1 View Post
    I actually live in your area but my trees are 2hrs north. Was at the cabin yesterday and thought about tapping (I'm a big producer 27 taps) but maybe next week. This should be your start. My son taps a few yard trees in Onalaska. Good luck to you. Do you tap right in or close to LaCrosse?
    La Crosse County, West Salem and Barre Mills farmlands. Not far from Onalaska.

Default Tapping

I am in La X county 17 miles east of La X. Have all my lines up and tapped a few this morning, but nothing running. Trees face kind of north so will get all taps on today and drill holes this weekend.

All lines have been run, all bags hung for a week or so already, so far maybe 4 gallons of what is now solid ice sap has dripped. Waiting for Sunday weather to set the trees a flowing. Long term weather forecast doesn't look good, might be shortest season in recent memories. Hope I'm wrong.

I’m about 40 miles north of La Crosse and hoping for good sap flow starting tomorrow. So far I’ve had a few drips from all my taps, but that’s about it.

Default Sap run

Collected and boiled 100 gal. yesterday. Just checked now and close to 200 gal. since yesterday. will pump all containers out tonight and start boiling right away in the morning.

Finally got some sap running. Collected about 100 gallons and boiling off this evening. Hope the rains tomorrow and a couple freezing nights really get the tress running this weekend.

+ Reply to Thread