+ Reply to Thread

Thread: sap hydrometer

Default sap hydrometer

Probably a nonsense question, but ... Other than length and price, what is the difference between a long sap hydrometer and a short one? Why do they make different lengths? I will most likely be using it in my buckets, not in a stainless test tube.
    Thanks

I just bought a long one, it goes from 0 to 15, had a short one that only went to 8, needed for the RO, I knew I was going beyond 8 percent, now I know for sure.
    Mark 220 Maple
    1100 taps on low vaccum, 900 on gravity.
    900 plus taps leased and on high vacuum
    35 cfm Indiana Liquid Ring Vacuum Pump
    80% Sugar, 20% Red MAPLES
    http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/g...Maple%20Syrup/

Quote Originally Posted by Gord View Post
    Probably a nonsense question, but ... Other than length and price, what is the difference between a long sap hydrometer and a short one? Why do they make different lengths? I will most likely be using it in my buckets, not in a stainless test tube.
    Thanks
    There is an inappropriate joke in there somewhere...

But actually I am curious as well.
    2020 - 1st year - 14 taps 1 Gallon Jugs + 4x 5-Gallon Buckets + Propane Grill + lots of headaches
    2021 - 2nd year - 19 Taps (and some free sap from a friend in the same town!) 145 or so OZ
    2022 - 3rd year - 46 taps (3 at home, 2 at neighbors, 38 at friends, and 3 at work) added ROBucket RB10, and Silver Creek 18x34x6 Divided Maple Syrup Pan w/warming Pan+Valve+Thermometer 6 Gallons 6 OZ!
    2023 And we grow some more... Starting with OldPostMaple.com!

Quote Originally Posted by 220 maple View Post
    I just bought a long one, it goes from 0 to 15, had a short one that only went to 8, needed for the RO, I knew I was going beyond 8 percent, now I know for sure.
    Mark 220 Maple
    so the long ones have a larger scale?
    2020 - 1st year - 14 taps 1 Gallon Jugs + 4x 5-Gallon Buckets + Propane Grill + lots of headaches
    2021 - 2nd year - 19 Taps (and some free sap from a friend in the same town!) 145 or so OZ
    2022 - 3rd year - 46 taps (3 at home, 2 at neighbors, 38 at friends, and 3 at work) added ROBucket RB10, and Silver Creek 18x34x6 Divided Maple Syrup Pan w/warming Pan+Valve+Thermometer 6 Gallons 6 OZ!
    2023 And we grow some more... Starting with OldPostMaple.com!

A longer hydrometer has a scale that is more precise and easier to read.
    60ish taps on buckets
    D&G Sportsman 18x63
    Turbo RB15 RO Bucket

+ Reply to Thread