+ Reply to Thread

Thread: IBC tote without cage

Default IBC tote without cage

The tank I was using the past few years isn’t available and I’m looking at IBC totes.

Someone locally has them for $30 without the cage. How stable are they without the cage? Right now I’m using a barrel strapped onto a trailer pulled by my tractor. Round trip is less than a 1/4 mile.

Question 2 - he said the tote was filled with soap and it smells like soap. Is the standard hot water and scrubbing the best way to get rid of that smell?

Thanks,
    Chris
    30ish taps, all buckets
    StarCat evaporator with divided pan

I am not sure how stable it would be but someone on the Facebook Marketplace in Antrim has some for sale that are food grade and in cages for $85. Close to you.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

I would not use one that contained soap. It was likely a concentrated version and you may never get the smell out.
    6th season solo sugar maker in a young sugar bush of mostly red maples
    320 taps
    2x6 self built arch, Flat pans w/ dividers
    New 12x16 sugar house
    CDL hobby 250 RO

They are very stable without the cage. The wire cage and base are mainly for support when transferring with forklift or other mechanical lift and stacking. I use one for transport and one for storage and never had any troubles.

I've never used one without the cage but have seen it done with success. That being said I would be more concerned that the tote had soap in it. It more than likely won't wash out completely and will transfer into your sap and then into your syrup.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

+ Reply to Thread