+ Reply to Thread

Thread: RO Plumbing the filter vessel

Default RO Plumbing the filter vessel

Newby my first post and I need help. Lots of posts on RO and YouTube videos but not much on what pipe goes where on the filter

4 X 40 Zeus maple filter new and still in the packaging. RO is an old restaurant RO All Clear Eco water called them and could not get help
    it was a 3 post with recirculation and I am reducing it to one post It has two flow meters reject is adjustable as is the recirculation valve.
    The filter has a 4" rubber seal on one end none on the other end. Only know that from YouTube

Two center ports top and bottom
    Two outer ports top and bottom
    I want to have the High Pressure sap enter the bottom of the filter vessel.
    Does the filter go in with the seal at the top or bottom?
    Does the HP raw sap go in the bottom center port or the outer port?
    What pipe goes in the other bottom port?
    What goes in the upper two ports?

11 years in maple
    First 3 years 100 taps on 5/16
    Switched two 3/16 and now 400 taps
    55 feet of drop average vacuum at the to 22"
    Home made evaporator and flat bottom pans 2' X 6'
    Adding Shurflow pump this year
    Hopefully RO if I can get help with this post
    Convert to airtight and a blower next year.

Good luck with the RO Build!

The filter goes into the housing with the rubber seal on the bottom.

Make sure you have the tiny O-rings in your black Vessel caps. they would be in the center port, and there are 2 of them.

The sap leaves your pump and goes into the bottom of the filter housing on the outside port, the center port should have a plug.

The top 2 ports, middle one will be your clean water, permeate, the outside port will be your concentrate. In that top outside port you should have your needle valve and a barbed fitting with a hose leading to your concentration tank, or if you are recirculating, the hose could be going back into the tank you are feeding the RO from.
    2022 4x40" RO, Welch 1397 Vac Pump, 3 Guzzler Pumps, Lapierre Releaser, 1100 taps
    2021 Twin Baby Boys, Close to 650 taps
    2020 Upgraded RO to 2 post and 7GBS Pump. 265 taps
    2019 Smoky Lake 2x6 raised flue, Autodraw system, Maple Jet Filter Press, a beautiful new bride to be my sugaring partner :-)
    2017 Expanded Sugar Shack, new 2x6 with float box, NEXTgen Maple RO, 250+ taps, still on sap sacks
    2016 Sugar Shack, 2x6 evaporator, 160 taps, all on Sap Sacks
    2014 110 taps
    2013 35 taps

Wow thank you very much that makes sense. I have watched most all of the Smokey Lake videos sure like that 2 x 6 but beyond my hobby budget reach. My maple lot is 7 acres have about another 150 trees I can tap

Look at the RO bucket video for assembling there single post. Carl clearly explains what goes where!
    THOR 20x68" + for 2022 Homebuilt 4-40 single post RO
    2022 180 buckets and 300 on 3/16 gravity 500L Syrup
    2021 305 Buckets and 95 on 3/16 gravity 423L Syrup
    2020 350 Buckets 375L Syrup
    2019 250 Buckets 270L Syrup

Thanks for the reply but I could not find the video. I am new and do not know how to search the forum very well.

A video will be on the website for The Bucket RO. It will help you understand, even though your RO is bigger.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Finally got it together and found my Seus filter has 1/2 inch nipples on the permeate ports and the end caps are 3/4". So it by passes. Where to buy parts?
    1/2" Double O-ring End Port Caps 4X40

Help with a few questions. It seems it is by passing some how The filter comes with a white plastic sleeve 2" X 1" od X 3/4" id and four o rings on the inside. There are no instructions with the filter. I assumed the sleeve was for connecting one filter to another.
    The high pressure pump does feed to the bottom of the vertical housing. I installed the filter with the seal at the bottom and the high pressure feed to the outside port and the center is plugged. At the top the center hole is connected to the bottom of the product flow meter and the outside port is connected to the bottom of the reject flow meter. When I run the system about 90% of the flow is coming on the reject flow meter side and the permeate flow gets the other 10%. I set the needle valve on the reject flow meter slowly to 200 psi. The flow seems backwards from my novice point of view. I did not run the RO for long, maybe a minute or so 40 liters 10 US gallons on the reject flow side, maybe 1.5 L .5 US gallons on the product/permeate side. Sure do not want to drag it out of the woods and to a plumber. Any ideas Thanks jpatriquin@gmail.com

That seems like normal operation. When you get to 200psi you should have a more balanced flow across the two discharge ports.

+ Reply to Thread