+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Health issues

Default Health issues

You may see me less on here this year.
    For several years I've had issues with repeated episodes of diverticulitis, so much so that surgery was scheduled to remove a bad section of my large intestine. That surgery was initially scheduled for Jan 19, but when I checked in at the hospital it was determined I again had diverticulitis, that surgery was postponed. Now I again have an appointment with the surgeon on 2/28, if she decides I'm ready, surgery has been set for the following week. Wish me luck. If I get the surgery I'll be in the hosptal a few days, then home to recover. I'll have no lifting orders for 6-8 weeks, but I hope after a week or 2 at home I'll be up to getting on this forum again.
    I have a buddy making syrup for me so I should be good there.
    I did have a meds issue and I fell last Thursday about 5 AM. My wife took me to the ER and I was there all day, as they tried to figure why I had fallen. No broken bones, but a pain in my rt side. About 6PM they did a CT scan and said my carotid arteries were clogged, and I was sent to Upstate in Syracuse. At Upstate I was tested and then they said the copy of the CT scan was not clear enough, they had to do a new one. About 3AM I was taken to get a new CT scan, about an hour or so after I got back from the new scan, the RN came and wanted me to get up and "walk around the block" with her (that was a block all in the hospital). I did, and went back to bed. About 5:00 AM, the Dr came in and said my carotid arteries were clear, that the first CT scan was too poor to read accurately. I was told I was being discharged, to call for a ride. I called my wife who was still sleeping, gave here the news, and the wheels started to turn. My youngest son rents his apartment next door from us My wife called him and inspite of freezing rain over night they came to pick me up. I got home shortly after 8:00AM.
    That day I was quite unsteady when I stood, but have gotten slowly better. Back when that happened I hadn't eaten for a whole day, nor had ant of my meds. I was given permission to eat and I had some mac and Cheese in the ambulance on the way to Upstate. The next time I ate was on my trip home, my wife brought a bottle of water, my meds and a cookie.
    Yesterday I had a follow-up Dr appt with my regular Dr. He found everything good, but had me stop one med he thought may have contributed to the issue causing me to fall. He will revisit that in 3-6 months.
    Any ways, prayers are appreciated, that I'm ready for surgery and that I do well in recovering from it and get back to all of my plans I'd had for this year.
    Thanks for listening.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Best of luck to you Dave. Doesn't sound like any fun at all. Let us know when you're back home and recovering.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Good luck Dave, stay positive and heal up.
    305 taps on 2 Shurflo's, 31 taps on 3/16" and 229 taps on gravity. 565 in all
    Mountain Maple S3 controller for 145 of the vacuum taps
    2x6 Darveau Mystique Oil Fired Evaporator w/ Smoky Lake Simplicity Auto Draw
    Wesfab 7” filter press

That's a tough run, Dave. I'm glad they gave the all-clear to the arteries. I'll be thinking of you.

Sean
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

Good luck Dave, that sounds rough. Hope you start feeling better soon.
    Dave Barker
    2014 30 taps, steam tray pans
    2015 ~100 taps, in conjunction with University of Louisville
    2x5 Smoky Lake hybrid pan
    2022 150 taps

Good luck Dave hopefully you'll be feeling better soon and can be back on here giving us all some more of your wisdom

Good luck Dave. Can't wait to again read all your great feedback to everyone's problems.
    2x3 Patrick Phaneuf Divided Pan
    Homemade arch
    RB20 RO Bucket
    121 taps total
    Sugar Shack in future
    Wife into it as much as me
    Also do homebrew

http://s928.photobucket.com/albums/ad121/ZMANSYRUP/

Sorry to hear about your health issues. Thinking of you and your family. Hopefully everything gets cleared up soon and you can resume your normal activities.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

Sorry to hear about your health issues. Best of luck; hope the surgery can happen, and that you can make a full and swift recovery.

Cheers,

GO
    2016: Homemade arch from old wood stove; 2 steam tray pans; 6 taps; 1.1 gal
    2017: Same setup. 15 taps; 4.5 gal
    2018: Same setup. Limited time. 12 taps and short season; 2.2 gal
    2019: Very limited time. 7 taps and a short season; 1.8 gals
    2020: New Mason 2x3 XL halfway through season; 9 taps 2 gals
    2021: Same 2x3, 18 taps, 4.5 gals
    2022: 23 taps, 5.9 gals
    2023: 23 taps. Added AUF, 13.2 gals
    2024: 17 taps, 5.3 gals
    All on buckets

Hi Dave,

Sorry to hear of the troubles. Dr.'s visits and hospital stays are right up there on the list of things no one wants to do. Best of luck with it all and I hope the recuperating goes exceptionally well!

Steve
    2014 Upgrades!: 24x40 sugarhouse & 30"x10' Lapierre welded pans, wood fired w/ forced draft, homemade hood & preheater
    400 taps- half on gravity 5/16, half on gravity 3/16
    Airablo R.O. machine - in the house basement!
    Ford F-350 4x4 sap gatherer
    An assortment of barrels, cage tanks & bulk tanks- with one operational for cooling/holding concentrate
    And a few puzzled neighbors...

http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...uckethead1920/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast