+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2022 maple season

Default 2022 maple season

Got all my gear out and plan to tap next weekend. A few friends of mine in Clayton county tapped some trees yesterday and were running. The weather forecast made me decide to wait another week.

I agree with you Millvilletapper. Hopefully the weather report is correct. We plan on tapping Monday or Tuesday (March 1st). With the temperature not getting above 30 until Tuesday it doesn't look like much will be running at our place until then. Most of our taps are on north facing slopes so that certainly doesn't help get things started early either. Good luck to all of you this year.

Greetings Iowa, each season I enjoy seeing what is going on across the river. Usually I am just a few days behind Milleville. Now I am hearing about wet taps due east of me. Since we got very little snow and simply a good crust of ice yesterday, today is going to be the day I head out to the woods with supplies, maybe drill a few sample holes. My prediction is that the season will start for us in Crawford County, WI this Sunday or Monday. Also blessed with north facing slopes. Have a good season.
    2019 47 taps and 10.75 gallons of syrup
    2020 45 taps and 21.25 gallons of syrup
    2021 50 taps and 13.5 gallons of syrup
    2022 50 taps and 18.5 gallons of syrup
    2023 49 taps and 18 gallons of syrup
    2024 49 taps and 9.75 gallons of syrup

56 acres above the Mississippi River in SW Wisconsin
    43.01N

Tapped a silver maple yesterday. The flow is slow but it is there. Looking forward to it really dripping in the next day or so.

Tapped about 50 sugar maples today and all were running. South facing Sloap with know snow on it. The north faces still have about 4-6 inches on them and will tap them in the next few days.

Tapped 206 sugar maples today. About half started to drip right away. We'll see what the next couple of days do. Hope everyone has a good season.

Got my 7 taps in this past Sunday. Has anyone else had luck with red maple?

Put in 70 feb 28th. Most ran, averaged a half gallon a piece by the looks of it the 1st. May collect this evening. Good luck everyone

SW Nebraska here but you guys are the closest tappers to me. Started tapping my box elders 7 Feb and got 11 gallons, and a week later 50 gallons. Sugar percentage was 3. But add the ice after melting and got 2%. Boiling 40 gallons tonite and still getting 2% so the season is still going. 75 buckets. We aren't getting a lot of sap because we are in a severe drought.

Jim
    Home made 2' X 5' X 6" pan.
    Home made 500 gallon wood fired cooker
    2019 - 12 taps, 1/2 gallon Box Elder syrup
    2020 - 120 taps ………..
    This hobby is addicting...…..

Very slow here in southeast Iowa.125 taps on vacuum and the biggest run so far was 90 gallons in 36 hrs.I'm afraid the dry fall and winter has hurt us. Hopefully the rain Saturday will help a little.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast