+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2022 maple season

Gathered yesterday (March 5th). A little over 150 gallons of sap. Not much to brag about for having 200+ taps out for 5 days. Cold today (~35 deg.). Afraid it doesn't look too promising for big runs the next couple of days. Incidently Irish Ridge, I assume you live on or near Irish Ridge Road. We go past it often when going thru Wisconsin. Hope you're doing better than we are.

I hit this link by accident. I had no idea that there were sugar makers in Iowa, but I am glad to hear it. I used to travel to Iowa every year to hunt pheasants and we usually based ourselves in Montezuma. I have wonderful memories of knocking on doors and meeting some awfully kind and generous folks. I love Iowa. My guess is that most farms are leased out for hunting now. Anyhow, greetings from Northern New Hampshire where I just finished tapping my 300 yesterday. I have about 100 gallons of sap in the bulk tank which isn't quite enough to fire up the arch yet, but it's still running. Have a great season.

Checked yesterday PM and the pails were pretty well frozen. The spiles were dripping a little and we had not gathered since Saturday (March 5th) so decided to gather today even though I didn't think there was going to be too much sap. With the warm temperatures it must have run all night. We ended up gathering about 300 gallons of sap, so tomorrow is going to be a long day boiling. Enjoy what there is out there everybody.

Hey Everybody,
    Im late to the party but wanted to say we made 16+ gallons of really fine syrup this year. Collected 350 gallons of sap between the 14th and 15th, on 105 taps on buckets. Needless to say, it was a busy week! Ted

Pulled our buckets Monday (April 4th). Had a good collection on April 1st and again on April 3rd. The sap was surprisingly clear for so late in the season. Overall ended up with ~54 gallons of syrup from 206 buckets. Wasn't the greatest syrup we ever produced but none of it was bad syrup either. For a while we were afraid the year would be a bust, but we were able to gather later than we usually can.
    Time to wash up, pack-up and store everything until next February. Hope everyone enjoyed the year.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12