+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: North West Wisconsin 2022

Hey, Mercer Maple. We've been making $1000/gallon syrup only since 2016. The trees in Winchester are still sleeping. Every year we say (in retrospect) we tapped too soon. Then we do the same thing the next year. But this year it really seems to be a particularly slow start. Maybe things will get cranking this weekend.

Trees finally started dripping today in south east Sawyer. Roots are starting to get exposed. Probably still 8-10" of mushy snow average and more in the shade. Quite a few bags 1/4 full today and maybe even a couple half full.

Here in the Hayward area I started to tap yesterday. Put in 50 taps and most were dripping well. Today putting in another 50. Glad I waited this year.

Last Saturday and Sunday got me a little bit enthused, nothing to write home about but some progress. However, today's drip in Mercer was a bust. Next few days don't look all that promising, but I'll keep making my rounds and take what I can get.

Good Morning TwoSaps--I have not collected anything in the past week. Assuming the same for you? Maybe today the trees will turn on again. What do you know about buddy sap? I recall last year at this time I shut things down as some of my red maples looked to be budding/flowering out. Not the case this year, but looking forward, I worry about contaminating my sap storage with good and bad sap.

So far we've only collected about 80 gallons on 45 taps, since 3/16. Finally starting to drip today in the bright sun. Last year we were done on April 6. Based on the glaciers still covering the ground, we might last a bit longer this year. On the bright side, had a very lovely cross country ski this morning.

Collected 70 gallons from 100 taps yesterday. Todays forecast looks goof for another run.. Maybe more to come in the next few days. Hayward.

I got 54 gallons from 80 trees on April 3. Weird how some of my trees run like crazy and some so-so. At times similar looking trees right by each other? Regardless, happy to see some sap.

Anybody out there? In Mercer, my son and I tapped 20 trees on March 15 and then followed with 55 on March 16. A bit of dripping on the 16th. A lot of work hauling buckets out in the snow. Snowshoes mandatory.

Hey Mercer, I'm North of Hayward. Still haven't tapped. Hopefully later this week. The snow is so darn deep. Don't think I'm missing anything yet
    10th year in….
    100 sap sacks...Actually, I hope to never have to use them again!
    1000' feet of 3/16th on gravity (not sure how many taps yet)
    14x14 sugar shack
    New 2x5 Hybrid Drop flue from Smoky Lake
    5" filter press from Daryl
    Sap Dog Chloe

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast