+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Red Roof Maples, gone but not forgotten!

I have wondered myself what had happened to the 2 of you. I never post much, but did have some discussions with you both. Theron and I are equally sized operations and often shared common frustrations. One being ro sizing. We finally traded up to a 2 x16 inch post machine followed by 4 8 inch. BIG game changer. Only had it fired up once so far. Let Theron know if you could. I think he should remember our conversations on that. I'm jealous of the both of you. You for being able to get your fix without the stress, and Theron for having someone who is enthusiastic about chasing bubbles.
    shrunken producer, from 8,000 taps to 4,000 to 5800 to 9500 to 11,000 vac
    5x16 woodchip fired evaporator with 5x10 max flue and 5x6 revolution front pan
    CDL 20+ RO
    Double 10"filterpress

sp-11, bb2, airtech L63, L160, L230 vac pumps
    CDL low profile electric releaser
    MES 8000 electric releaser
    CDL 4000 tap mechanical releaser

Thank you lew, Theron says that's hell of an RO. He wants to know how many taps you've got now and how you're doing. We're heading out to the woods now to get the last vacuum pump on line. It looks like we could get a little sap this week. It's good to hear from you.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

I've got 11,000 and buy in another 2,000. That new ro eats 70 gpm. 11 gpm of 15% from 1.4 sap. Only had 14,000 gallons to play with our first boil. Made about 100 gallons of golden. Only had 8500 tapped for that run. We're all tapped now. Just have to syart chasing leaks. Looks like another 7 or 8 days until it thaws out for us.
    shrunken producer, from 8,000 taps to 4,000 to 5800 to 9500 to 11,000 vac
    5x16 woodchip fired evaporator with 5x10 max flue and 5x6 revolution front pan
    CDL 20+ RO
    Double 10"filterpress

sp-11, bb2, airtech L63, L160, L230 vac pumps
    CDL low profile electric releaser
    MES 8000 electric releaser
    CDL 4000 tap mechanical releaser

Lew, is that your woods on CR3 in Greene/smithville flats? been wondering whose that was for a couple years, looks like a nice woods.
    whereabouts around smithville flats are you? i'm in that area a few times a year, kind of curious if i've been past it.

russ, glad to hear you're still in maple. i do miss PATheron's updates, they were quite entertaining and hearing about his growth and changes and challenges have definetely inspired my own growth when i jumped in to more than 30 taps.
    Last edited by collinsmapleman2012; 02-28-2022 at 07:52 AM.
    5000 taps on vacuum, just trying to get a little better every year.

Theron has about 12500 now and 2 D&G RO's that are in the 2000 gph range. We've boiled twice so far and made almost five 55 gallon barrels. We had all of the big woods tapped and finished the bubble patrols on those last week. We tapped an 800 tap woods last week and will bubble patrol that when it runs again. We've also got about 400 tapped in his other 800 tap woods and will finish that this afternoon. When those are done everything will be online.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

We finished tapping the last woods this afternoon. It wasn't planned that way but I had the honor of tapping the last tree. Theron says that if he makes 5000 gallons this year I'm coming back every year. It looks like it should start running again tomorrow. I can't wait!
    Russ

Russ,
    I didnt know a person could retire from making syrup
    Glad your having a good time and still in the hunt on bubble patrol too.
    I am not on as much as back then.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarmaker View Post
    Russ,
    I didnt know a person could retire from making syrup
    Glad your having a good time and still in the hunt on bubble patrol too.
    I am not on as much as back then.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Hi Chris it's good to hear from you. Retiring from work was an easy decision. Retiring from making syrup took a lot of thought and soul searching. Most of my family moved to NC and family won out over making syrup. It was hard to do but I feel that it was the right decision to sell out and move to NC too. Luckily I was able to come up to PA and help my good friend Theron make syrup. I get my sugaring fix and he spends the money!
    Russ

The sap ran pretty good here in PA on Wednesday and Thursday and we'll be boiling that tomorrow. It was 7* here this morning and everything froze up pretty hard so even though it got to 35* today we didn't get much sap. It looks like it's going to let loose this weekend and we'll be boiling everyday for awhile if the forecast is right.
    Russ

The sap ran good over the weekend and we made a lot of syrup. We got a good freeze last night and had a better than expected run today. It's supposed to freeze again tonight with 35* and snow showers in the forecast for tomorrow. We're hoping that we get a good run out of it but time will tell.

I've been given free reign to do what I want when running the filter press and have been able to fill 3.5, 55 gallon barrels on a set of papers. I always did batch filtering with my own press which was a walk in the park compared to continuous filtering but with a little experimentation I was able to get the hang of it quickly. With all of the problems that Theron had with filtering in the past he and his father are really amazed with what I've been doing.
    Russ

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast