+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 25 123456789101121 ... LastLast

Thread: Eastern Ontario 2022

Default Eastern Ontario 2022

Looking outside at a wall of blowing snow whipped up by 50kmh winds, I’m not sure when our season will start this year, but I am starting to get the itch. Here’s hoping all you other eastern Ontario sugar makers are doing well and looking forward to another great season
    Big Eddy
    Big_Eddy
    Eastern Ontario (Quinte)
    20+ years on a 2x3 block arch,
    Homemade 20"x64" drop flue since 2011

Build a Block Arch
    Build a Flat Pan
    Build a Flue Pan
    Sweetening the Pans
    Build a Bending Brake
    Using a Hydrotherm
    How much Sap to Sweeten?

Thanks for starting this year's thread Big Eddy! I definitely have the itch!!! I've been working tonight on last year's stats in order to decide which trees to tap this upcoming season. Alas, this season's start still seems far away. After tapping in February 5 of the past 6 seasons, I think this will be a March tapping for me. I don't think the brief warmth the next 3 days is enough to get me to drill any holes. Regardless, here's hoping we all have a good and enjoyable upcoming season!
    50 trees, 1 spile per tree
    homemade outdoor fire box crudely made from concrete slabs
    5 steamer trays as pans

Itchy here too. We were able to get some line repairs and spile change out work done last week when the snow hardened up after the thaw. Looks like “rinse and repeat” weather for this week so hope to get more done later in the week.
    Local forecast shows no tapping window until at least first of March

Well.. I'm ashamed to say I don't have the itch at all to get going.. This on again off again snowmobiling weather has me wanting another month before tapping.. to the point where I counted how much I have leftover from last spring and debated whether I tap at all.. I'm sure it will pass.. I may need some therapy or something.. Last year I tapped on March 16th.. I'll know how I feel about it when I get all the lines and supplies out next weekend.. I suspect the tapping season will be upon us in a flash..
    2020 -30 trees 32 taps. ~900 L sap; 27.1L Syrup.
    2019 -27 trees 31 taps. ~725 L sap; 22.2L Syrup.
    2018 -19 Trees 20 taps. ~750 L sap; 18 L Syrup
    2017 -4 trees 4 taps. ~60 L sap; 1.5 L Syrup

I’m in Georgian Bluffs just north of Owen Sound and this will be my first year tapping. I have 9 taps on a gravity line running straight to the back of my house and we’ve had a couple warm days but no sap yet. I set this one up as my “warning” line to get my taps in. Lol. I have 32 drops ready for the main run from a larger sugar bush between a couple fields but I’ll tackle that next weekend. The wind gusts of 70km/hr would make it really cold on the ridge right now. I think I’ll still have plenty of time - looks like it’s supposed to stay cold for a couple weeks.

Well, I may regret it, but had the itch and needed something to do on Family Day....So the boy and I tapped our trees, only 17 pails so easy going....We set up the burn barrel, dropping the pan lower into it to try to get a better boil coming up soon....Was watching the forecast and while only a couple of days, hoping enough for a mini boil....And then the waiting for things to warm up....
    Hey BushFrosh....see you're from Stirling, my hometown, we lived on Front St W, then Victoria St and I worked as a meat cutter in the old Birds IGA....

TurkeyJohn

We got our roads plowed and drilled 1350 of our taps this past weekend. Some taps were dripping a bit as we tapped and the going wasn't too bad in snowshoes. We are planning to get the balance done this coming weekend so we're ready when the weather turns. Once we're past the Family Day long weekend it's go-time for us no matter what the forecast says because we need about 5 days to get everything ready.
    4,600 Taps on vacuum
    9,400 gallons storage
    3 tower CDL RO
    3.5'x14' Lapierre Force 5
    Twitter & Instagram: @ennismaple
    www.ennismaple.com

[QUOTE=
    Hey BushFrosh....see you're from Stirling, my hometown, we lived on Front St W, then Victoria St and I worked as a meat cutter in the old Birds IGA....

TurkeyJohn[/QUOTE]

TurkeyJohn: Very nice! I went to school here when there was a primary, junior, and senior school. Before the single large school that they have now.
    50 trees, 1 spile per tree
    homemade outdoor fire box crudely made from concrete slabs
    5 steamer trays as pans

Hello everyone!

It's -11C here (Oxford Mills) this morning and the snow is coming down sideways lol, no tapping for us quite yet.
    Hope everyone has been keeping well, thanks for starting this year's thread Big Eddy.
    Last edited by Fort Wisers; 03-01-2022 at 07:41 AM.
    2022 - 21 taps: 470 litres of sap / 15.75 litres of syrup (stopped season short)
    2021 - took the season off
    2020 - 20 taps: 524 litres of sap / 18.75 litres of syrup
    2019 - 14 taps: 416 litres of sap / 15.25 litres of syrup
    2018 - 9 taps (309 litres) + a generous neighbour (114 litres): 423 litres of sap / 14.5 litres of syrup
    2017 - 4 taps: 55 litres of sap / 1.5 litres of syrup (just enough to get us hooked)

www.fort-wisers.ca

We finished tapping on Saturday and Sunday and got all our mainlines across the roads and trails. There's still a couple days of work required to get a bunch of odds and ends cleaned up and ready, releasers put onto tanks and remote sensors into the woods. The weather forecast looks like we'll have time to get this done before it warms up.
    4,600 Taps on vacuum
    9,400 gallons storage
    3 tower CDL RO
    3.5'x14' Lapierre Force 5
    Twitter & Instagram: @ennismaple
    www.ennismaple.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 25 123456789101121 ... LastLast