+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shurflo 4008 vac pump surging in the lines

Hybrid View

Default Shurflo 4008 vac pump surging in the lines

First time out with a little 12V shurflo 4008 vac pump. relatively flat sugar bush. about 50 taps on it so far, four 3/16 lines ranging from 200' to 1000'. Plan is to add another 60 to 70 taps to it. The shorter lines are fairly flat, and the longer ones have about 30' of drop. I'm getting about 17" of vacuum at the pump and 12 to 15 at the end of the lines. Seems like this is either normal, or low, depending on which post you read. Today I had a pretty good run going, constant flow into the manifold, but I did notice that at times that the pump seems to sputter and the bubbles in the line go backwards, away from the pump, then it seems to catch and start drawing a vacuum again. Before I go buy more parts and pieces for a recirculating line, does anyone know if this is something a recirc line will fix, or have I got something else going on? I mainly went this route to avoid collecting buckets in a swamp, so I'm not terribly concerned with maximizing production (maybe next year though!)

Thank you!

It's from not having a recirculation line. The pump sucks all the sap through, then loses suction from the natural air in the line, then rebounds and starts pulling harder. If you're not crazy about maximum production it's fine. Just how those pumps run. When you get a good hard sap run it won't do it as much.
    Jake
    smoky lake 2x6 drop flue SSR on homemade arch
    235 taps on 2 gast 1550s and lappiere releasers
    24x12 sugar house
    2019 Kubota L2501 work horse

I had the same problem last year on one of my four pumps and discovered it was not the lack of sap, but rather a minute leak in the gasket of the Shurflo strainer I had installed just before the pump. I don't run a recirculation line because I have all my pumps located below the mainline so if sap is flowing, the pumps have plenty of sap to pump. I removed the strainer and connected the line directly to the pump and the problem went away. Apparently there was a flaw in the gasket on the strainer, because I installed a new strainer and the problem never reoccurred.
    Gary
    16' X 24' Sugarhouse
    2' X 6' Leader Inferno Arch with Revolution Raised-Flue Pans, Smoky Lake preheater and hood
    Deer Run Maple gas-powered 250 RO
    WesFab 7" filter press
    Kubota 1100 RTV with tracks and 125 gallon tank for transporting sap
    800 taps on gravity and vacuum
    Very supportive wife who is the best coworker
    http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...ing-Sugarhouse

I'll also add, surging a common problem with these pumps. The advice I've gotten in the past is that you should make sure there is a consistent slope to the pump. Any flat areas or dips can lead to backups and surging. I've taken care of that and still had surging, so I think there are multiple factors.

I also have the strainer before the pump. I clean it daily - and it needs it, especially when there are warm spells in the season which there always are. That said, I've caused my own problems with that. I've pinched or flipped the gasket or I just can't get a good grip on it reaching into the box.

Like Gary, I don't think it's a recirc. line issue. The sap it there. However, I am going to put them on this year and see if it helps. At this point, I'm trying everything I hear. It kills me when all that work in the woods goes to waste.
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

I no longer get excited about surging. Faught it for years and didn't win. The sap comes out of the tree and the pump brings it in. Success.
    2 x 6 W F Mason arch, Leader WSE AUF drop flue pans
    40 taps 2009-
    New 16 x 16 sugar shack 2010
    180 taps 2012 -
    200 taps 2013 -
    220 taps 2014 -
    250 taps 2015 -
    300 taps 2024
    shurflo pump 2016 -
    new mainlines and saddles 300 taps 2017-
    added Deer Run 125 RO, Lapierre 7 inch filter press and CDL water jacket canning unit in 2019
    Bombardier 400
    BX 22 Kubota
    2024 is our 29th year making the " nectar of the gods"
    Just a hobby

Speaking of recirc lines, has anyone found a good stainless needle valve that works for this ? I'm struggling to find any affordable ones with good reviews.
    6th season solo sugar maker in a young sugar bush of mostly red maples
    320 taps
    2x6 self built arch, Flat pans w/ dividers
    New 12x16 sugar house
    CDL hobby 250 RO

Quote Originally Posted by NhShaun View Post
    Speaking of recirc lines, has anyone found a good stainless needle valve that works for this ? I'm struggling to find any affordable ones with good reviews.
    Needle nose vise grips worked great for me.
    -Ryan

Went off the deep end. Might be in over my head...

Recently purchased a sap guzzler 401n and not having any luck finding a strainer or filter to put in before pump. Any leads or ideas, I am in Vt. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by holbrook hill farm View Post
    Recently purchased a sap guzzler 401n and not having any luck finding a strainer or filter to put in before pump. Any leads or ideas, I am in Vt. Thanks
    Try US Plastics. They have several different types.
    https://www.usplastic.com/search/?keyword=T-Strainer
    Mountain Maple farm
    2022 NAMSC award winning dark amber syrup
    2023: 320 taps, 70% red maples. Mountain Maple S4 diaphragm pump controller with automated sap transfer and text messaging
    https://www.mountainmaplefarm.com
    https://www.facebook.com/MountainMapleFarm/

Quote Originally Posted by holbrook hill farm View Post
    Tractor Supply sells them in their sprayer parts section. They carry them in 3/4”,1”, 1-1/2” pipe threads. Also, many online vendors sell them like Amazon and companies that sell sprayer parts.
    https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...s-steel-screen
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast