+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Hop Kiln Road 2022

Default Sugar Snow

23F and 4" of nice snow. H of 50F today. The sap is going to run this afternoon and stop with a low of 23F today. Going to be a big week. Cleaned the front pans after 3,500 gal, see if the grade comes up a little. Been hovering 48 to 52.
    Brad, the carton was labeled correctly so it was just a mix up when I picked them up back in Nov. Course, I thought I was all set! Other cartons were correct. But it did take my breath away!
    Bruce Treat
    825 Sugar Maple Taps
    3/16 w/ DSD .225 Spiles
    H2O RO
    H2O 2.5 X 8
    Bow, New Hampshire

I was talking to a dealer here in PA and he said that he can't get jugs from Sugarhill for 42 weeks because they don't have anyone to put the labels on. He can get blank jugs in 3 weeks. I can see where a case may have slipped through that didn't get screen printed.

The sap tsunami will be starting for us here in PA today as well. Even with marginal temperatures the trees have been running pretty good. It started late yesterday afternoon in the middle of a snowstorm and was still running after it dropped below freezing last night.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Got 1gpt in less than 6 hours this afternoon. SC jumped too, not sure why, there is frost in the ground.
    Bruce Treat
    825 Sugar Maple Taps
    3/16 w/ DSD .225 Spiles
    H2O RO
    H2O 2.5 X 8
    Bow, New Hampshire

Default Midpoint

Hit 50% of my 20 year gpt average last night and didn't get all of it pumped before the freeze. Perfect weather. Still some ice in the tanks and plenty of frost in the ground. Looks like another gpt+ today!
    Bruce Treat
    825 Sugar Maple Taps
    3/16 w/ DSD .225 Spiles
    H2O RO
    H2O 2.5 X 8
    Bow, New Hampshire

Brought in 1000 g and it was still coming when I went to bed. Grade doesn't seem to want to go above 50 LT. If the weather forecast doesn't change we will only have an average season.
    Bruce Treat
    825 Sugar Maple Taps
    3/16 w/ DSD .225 Spiles
    H2O RO
    H2O 2.5 X 8
    Bow, New Hampshire

every container counts these with a simple lack of them. Lota of sap here down here too and I have mostly reds everything running great with this weather. trees even running as it drops below freezing until the lines freeze up. even with this rainny crappy weather at 34/35F last night sap still coming in stronger than I thought. low pressure good for sap on vaccuum!!!

except for my first boil which was very dark it usually is until all nasty clears a bit from the tubing but LT has been around 37-40 which is good for my reds.

mot excited about the up coming forecast though. less than average is quickly becoming average since last year ended early for me too. If it doesn't change will have to boil water next weekend. I just add a little syrup to the front pan for aroma
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

www.willowcreeksugarhouse.com
    585 or so on Vacuum, about 35 on buckets/sap sacs
    Atlas Copco GVS 25A Rotary Vane vacuum pump
    MES horizontal electric releaser
    2x6 ss phaneuf Drop flue, Leader woodsaver blower, homemade hood
    300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP
    Its Here!!! 2024 season is here get busy!!!

Default Boiling Storm

Had a Red Roof moment while we were boiling in the storm. Start each day with a clean filter press and it is usually good for 20+ gal. My operation is designed for 15 gal days. But with the heavy runs, we were filling a 2nd keg yesterday and probably past 25 gal when pressures rose and output slowed to trickle. So I cleaned and replaced just one frame, added some more DE, and finished the 31 gal with no problem.
    Bruce Treat
    825 Sugar Maple Taps
    3/16 w/ DSD .225 Spiles
    H2O RO
    H2O 2.5 X 8
    Bow, New Hampshire

ha I like that... "Red Roof Moment" He will like that. I like those moments when you made "too much syrup" I have never said those words before. My set up is good for 10 gallons a day so when I get to 11, 12, 13, 14 gallons which does happen on occation I will have to re-set the press to get it through.

I like that idea of just changing 1 plate. never thought of that. I am gonna try that next time I have a red roof moment.
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

www.willowcreeksugarhouse.com
    585 or so on Vacuum, about 35 on buckets/sap sacs
    Atlas Copco GVS 25A Rotary Vane vacuum pump
    MES horizontal electric releaser
    2x6 ss phaneuf Drop flue, Leader woodsaver blower, homemade hood
    300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP
    Its Here!!! 2024 season is here get busy!!!

"Red Roof moment "I like that. Making too much syrup in a boil is what I lived for. I was always a problem solver and could usually come up with a solution on the fly. Great job Bruce. Filter pressing used to be a big problem for me but now it seems to be my specialty.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Default March 14th

Yeah, I have a propane finisher to keep the day's production hot until I have 15 gal to press. Hate starting a cold press. Usually I burn some oil during the season cause I get too tired to load the wood furnace, but when I saw the temps last week and the price of fuel oil, I loaded two more bucket of wood in the basement! Then my son came over Saturday and helped get that big run through the SH. By the time we had loaded the last of the sap by Saturday afternoon it was 23F. Had a bunch of freeze ups but worked through them. Now look at the forecast! This season has been either 10 deg too cold or 10 deg too warm. I'm at 70% of my 15 year average so should be able to make it...
    Bruce Treat
    825 Sugar Maple Taps
    3/16 w/ DSD .225 Spiles
    H2O RO
    H2O 2.5 X 8
    Bow, New Hampshire

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast