+ Reply to Thread

Thread: dairy pump belt

Default dairy pump belt

a question for you guys with knowledge of pumps/motors. I have a bb4 vacuum pump running off an electric motor with 2 belts running the pump. last year my belts started squeaking so i am replacing them. the current belts are about 60" rubber ribbed v belts. A couple questions. 1st, do i need to replace the belts with the exact same length belt? will shorter belts make a difference in vacuum? (having issues finding 60" belts locally) i currently run at 28" hg. 2nd, i'm assuming i do not need ribbed belts since both the pump and motor pullies are smooth. 3rd, my current belts are rubber... will most any belt material work?
    thanks in advance!
    Awfully thankful for an understanding wife!

“The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.”
    - Vincent “Vince” Lombardi

Good luck to all!

Take the belts to napa and see if they can match them. There is also reeds supply in St Johnsbury, one or the other should be able to help. If you can read the numbers on th belt granger can probably get them.
    Blaisdell's Maple Farm
    started on a 2x2 pan in 2000 and now
    custom built oil fired 4x12 arch by me
    Thor pans Desinged by Thad Blaisdell
    4600 taps on a drop flue 8-4 split

I purchased belts at Napa, we run a Surge Alamo with 2 belts, it has a fair bit of adjustment. Not sure about your setup, ours has slots instead of holes where the motor attaches so you can adjust the belt tension, i think the ones we purchased may have been a bit smaller but they worked. Unless you change the pulley size the rpm's should be the same, so same pumping. If your belts were slipping and the new ones don't you might get a little more. The original belts i had were black rubber, the new ones are green, not sure the difference but they work great.
    2024 - 57 Gallons - Short season, many and varied problems remedied in short order! - No buckets!
    2023 - 38 Gallons - RO broke, Buckets didn't run, rebuilt vacuum pump mid-season, still made good syrup!
    2022 - 52 Gallons - DIY RO, 50% less fuel, no late nights in the shack!
    2021 - 48 Gallons - new pans, new arch, lots of new taps and tubing
    2020 - 32 Gallons
    2019 - 27 Gallons

A lot of the dairy pumps used a double V Belt originally. That’s 2 belts hitched together with a molded back. That helps keep the belts working as a pair. You can use 2 individual belts but make sure they are a matched pair so that the length is exactly the same or 1 will work more than the other.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

thanks guys. i couldn't find the exact same length, but managed to find a few 1" shorter. i have plenty of adjustment with the motor, so no issues there. thanks again, for the advice/info!!

Good luck to all!

When using 2 belts make sure they are a matched set, and yes, when you call them ribbed, if you mean they have cogs, yes cogged is better. It's like the difference between totally bald tires vs new snow tires, they grip better. On my BB4 at 27" I used to add belt dressing, it also helps the grip.
    I never saw 28" but 27" was common, and if it dropped to 25" it was time to check for leaks. The BB4 pump is a real workhorse, just make sure to chande the pump oil at least 2x a year and check the oil level daily. I used TSC oil without issue but I hear it is hard to get this year.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Thanks Dave! always appreciate your info! i only could find smooth belts... not cogged, so that's what i went with. so far they're working perfectly, but i did order some cogged belts, so they're on their way. i tend to change the oil probably 3-4 times a year, and i also use tsc oil. couldn't get that stuff anywhere last year, so over this winter i stocked up on it every time i saw it. i usually get 28" but i also am checking my lines every afternoon/evening. great way to get my two dogs exercise after they've sat in the house all day.

Good luck to all!

+ Reply to Thread