+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2022 Season

Default 2022 Season

The sap was pissing away yesterday running out the drain plug hole on the releaser pump. the sap was sweeter than last year. the heat is on in the ro room hope to get the membrains in this week and get that puppy ready. Most of my barrels are home and ready to be filled. I have about 60 taps to put in to finish tapping. I got to go down to Goodriches and pick up 8 bags of de, defoamer and ro filters. I hope every things start up and runs like brand new, It should it worked when I finished last spring right!! I hope to get the vac tightened up next week with the warm spell coming.
    Blaisdell's Maple Farm
    started on a 2x2 pan in 2000 and now
    custom built oil fired 4x12 arch by me
    Thor pans Desinged by Thad Blaisdell
    4600 taps on a drop flue 8-4 split

I went out yesterday and turned on the vac sensors over in one woods and the snow was 3 ft deep.I was post holing all the way. I was wishing I brought snow shoes, I was in hopes the crust would hold me up so I could walk on top. Well I guess I will make up some new drops
    today good luck.
    Blaisdell's Maple Farm

I attempted to get out and work on lines this past Sunday, but after falling 3 times and sliding down the hillside like an out of control luge run I decided it will wait for the warmer weather to arrive!

Woodfordmark That sounds about right, boy it has been cold. I am going to mount up some better tires on my f250 sap truck in the morning it is in the shop now. I broke the yoke off my big sap truck. I started it up to run in dec just to keep the batterys charged and it was in gear and my foot sliped off the clutch and bang. I hope i have all of the parts now to put that back back together. That is fridays project. Two of the pump stations have kinney pumps and they are water cooled so I will haul water to them to get them started.
    Blaisdell's Maple Farm

still not running here in Randolph this morning at 44 degrees-storm inbound and cloudy. I've noticed if it's cloudy and under 50 it doesn't run.

Well wednesday I started 2 vac stations, water cooled every thing was going good, yesterday I went out and shut some valves on top of the mt that keeps the sap out of the pump shack until the heat and vac are ready. Well the conductor line was pulled apart and so down the mt I went to get supplys to put that together and stopped at the woods here to get the vac going and found that manual releaser had ice in the bottom and the gauge was not working. I went home got the new gauge and some tools to fix that home one first. got the stuff and right in front of the sugarhouse I slipped and broke my ankle. Now things are going to get interesting. I have to rely on friends to haul sap and walk lines. God has always been good to me and given me good friends and family. I know this will make it hard for us, but I know God has a plan. I should be able to run the in side of the sugar house, Ro evaporator ect.

Ps My wife is going to bussy!!!
    Blaisdell's Maple Farm

Sorry to hear, Brian. Hoping for a fast recovery.
    Last edited by wiam; 02-18-2022 at 05:29 PM.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    ...I slipped and broke my ankle.
    Bummer. Best wishes for a speedy and full recovery and good luck to your wife and friends.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Well things are going better than expected. My wife has done verry well at turning valves for me, she has always helped in the sugar house with the filter presses. I am able to do every thing inside the sugar house. I had a lot of help from alot of friends and owe them greatly. There is a neighbor that has hauled sap for days for me and another that looks in on the pump stations to make sure every thing is running rightand another neighbor that sends his guys over to run lines and fix lines. It will be five weeks thursday that I broke my ankle.
    Blaisdell's Maple Farm

Keep on keeping on.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

+ Reply to Thread