+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sucking sap slightly uphill over 100'

Default Sucking sap slightly uphill over 100'

I thought I remembered a discussion from several years ago about sucking sap uphill. I have a tank in my woods that's about 5' below my sugarhouse but is also about 300' away. In the past I've literally run extension cords down there and plugged in a shurflo pump and it can pump the sap no problem over that distance. My question is, can I do the reverse and have the shurflo PULL the sap from the tank at the sugarhouse. This would save me time going down there and allow me to stay at the sugarhouse. Any thoughts?
    About 300 taps
    2'x6' air tight arch
    Semi complete 12'x24' sugarhouse in Somers, CT
    My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/CapturedNature
    My eBook: Making Maple Syrup in your Backyard

It all depends on pump capabilities. I think it would move some sap just not as efficient as having the pump by the tank. If it was me I would keep my pump by the tank and run a power source out there on a 110v float switch. Let it pump automatically?
    30x8 oil fired
    1800taps
    Lapierre 2000 series ro
    20x30’ sugar house (originally)
    John Deere 3005
    Bobcat 753
    Kubota excavator
    2 ram 3500s

It's probably not going to work very well if at all. The pump needs to pull all the air out of the line, and it will take a long time to do so. I use one of my transfer pump controllers to pump my tanks automatically when full so something like that or a sump pump type of setup would save some time.

Dave
    Mountain Maple farm
    2022 NAMSC award winning dark amber syrup
    2023: 320 taps, 70% red maples. Mountain Maple S4 diaphragm pump controller with automated sap transfer and text messaging
    https://www.mountainmaplefarm.com
    https://www.facebook.com/MountainMapleFarm/

If it's truly only minimal elevation rise from tank to building yea you can do it. You will have to set the pump up like you would if you were using it to generate vacuum on a tubing run.

Once you have the line from your tank to the pump full and primed you can shut off the recirculation line to the pump and just pull from your tank.

Congratulations you've just made a self priming pump.
    2017 25 taps on buckets got me hooked 1 gallon of sweet
    2018 51 taps on 3/16 tubing/ DIY oil tank evaporator 8.5gallons finished
    2019 60 taps 7 gallons finished ended season short
    2020 New 2x4 divided pan ready to get away from the headache that is steam table pans
    2021 off year due to pandemic and projects
    2022 back at it

+ Reply to Thread