+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Head tank - inside or outside

Default Head tank - inside or outside

I’m in the planning process of building a small sugar house (10’x16’) for my 2x3XL Mason evaporator. I’m wondering if folks like their head tank inside or outside? I’ve seen it both ways and see positive/negative of both setups.
    Former Life: 300+ taps (125 gravity, 200 buckets), 96 gallons of syrup in 2015
    24x16 public sugarhouse
    2x6 wood fire evaporator (back pan Waterloo Small & Leader 2x2 front pan)
    Current Life: Backyarder with Mason 2x3XL. New sugar house coming soon…

You are correct, there are advantages and disadvantages to either setup. We have ours inside and found it works well for us. Our only problem with it was the condensation that formed on the tank because of the heat/steam buildup in the sugarhouse when boiling. We resolved that problem by insulating the tank with 1/2" foam board. We attached the foam board to the framework supporting the tank and the problem was gone.
    Good luck with your new sugarhouse, it is so nice to be in out of the weather and wind.
    Gary
    16' X 24' Sugarhouse
    2' X 6' Leader Inferno Arch with Revolution Raised-Flue Pans, Smoky Lake preheater and hood
    Deer Run Maple gas-powered 250 RO
    WesFab 7" filter press
    Kubota 1100 RTV with tracks and 125 gallon tank for transporting sap
    800 taps on gravity and vacuum
    Very supportive wife who is the best coworker
    http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...ing-Sugarhouse

I tried mine inside for one season, but didn't like it. The condensation was the main problem. The other problem was rinsing it at the end of the night. That's more easily done outside for me. Lastly, inside space is at a premium for me (I'm 12'x20'), so anything I can keep outside, stays outside. Good luck with the new sugarhouse.
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

Inside for me. I do not have any tanks outside. My head tank is seperated from the evaporator room by a wall so I never have a problem with condensation. Having the tanks inside makes it easier to keep from freezing and keep clean.
    First introduced to making maple syrup in 1969
    Making syrup every year since 1979
    3 x 10 oil fired
    Revolution syrup and max flue pan
    Almost 1300 taps total with 900 on high vacuum
    Bought first Marcland drawoff in 1997, still going strong.

In my opinion, tanks are always better inside if you have the room to do it. If outside, it sure is nice to have them covered. Ours is outside, uncovered and you can't keep all the rain out even if you try to cover it plywood, tarps, etc. We just added a tee in the feed line with a valve so it drains back out through the wall. Sugar house expansion starts next year and we will have the room and wall height to put everything inside. That's the only reason we haven't bothered to build a roof over the tank- we do enough things twice or four times in the shack!!
    305 taps on 2 Shurflo's, 31 taps on 3/16" and 229 taps on gravity. 565 in all
    Mountain Maple S3 controller for 145 of the vacuum taps
    2x6 Darveau Mystique Oil Fired Evaporator w/ Smoky Lake Simplicity Auto Draw
    Wesfab 7” filter press

I'm not sure how you could fit it into the sugarhouse. You'll obviously need to set it above your evaporator and I don't see how that could work. How would you access it for cleaning? My head tank is in the "attic" of our 16x34 sugarhouse. I have a 400 gallon open top SS tank and I barely have room to access it for cleaning with a 12:12 roof pitch. I also agree with others that you really need to cover it too.
    Ken
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

Thanks everyone. Love the different perspectives. Previously, I had the luxury to have my head tank in a separate, cooler room. This sugar house is going to be smaller and just one indoor space.

I am worried about the sap getting "warm" if its right near evaporator, I guess I could insulate. But also concerned it has potential to freeze up if its outside. In either case, its vital to have it covered.
    Former Life: 300+ taps (125 gravity, 200 buckets), 96 gallons of syrup in 2015
    24x16 public sugarhouse
    2x6 wood fire evaporator (back pan Waterloo Small & Leader 2x2 front pan)
    Current Life: Backyarder with Mason 2x3XL. New sugar house coming soon…

I have a 12 x 16 sugar house with a 2 x 4 smoky lake rig. I have a 50 gallon SS head tank inside that feeds the float box to the evaporator. It has an auto refill on it to pull in sap from outside the sugar house when it gets low. I have very little condensation on the tank.
    2004 - 2012 2x3 flat pan 25 to 60 taps
    2012 2x3 new divided pan w/draw off 55 taps
    2018 - didn't boil surgery - bought new evaporator
    2019 new SML 2x4 raised flue high output evap. 65 taps
    made 17 gal. syrup
    2020 - only put out 53 taps - made 16.25 ga.l syrup
    2021 - Didn't work out
    2022 - 25 taps on bags / 8 taps on 3/16's line - late start

Inside. Store collected sap outside in barrels packed with snow until boiling time, then pump up to head tank and boil.

There are positives and negatives both ways.
    Inside, sap will heat up durring your boil (tank is elevated and hear rises) which causes bacteria to form causing darker and sometimes ropey syrup. That same heat causes condensation but can be reduced by insulating the tank. But it will probably be easier to monitor sap level and clean if inside.
    Outside, early in the season, there is a freezing concern typically at the pipe that goes to the evaporator, more chance of contamination from weather or bugs and animals. But cooler sap stays better longer and gadgetry (always cool) can monitor the sap level.
    For me, I started with it outside then moved it inside, now moved it back outside. My recommendation would not create a situation that will restrict you. As you grow or change your operation, you may find one head tank location better but that may change too.
    Last edited by minehart gap; 02-09-2022 at 05:34 AM.
    Matt,
    Minehart Gap Maple

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast