+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Backyard Syrup Enthusiasts 2022

Default Backyard Syrup Enthusiasts 2022

Maple season is almost here! Funny how last season this thread was started on 2/2 anticipating a storm. One day and a year later- same situation. For those who like the snow, Let's Go Landon! (The storm name)

It's been a cold winter so far, and I don't see an end in sight. A few years ago I was looking back at the weather of January's past, and without going back to that data I think this past month feels like a January of old. I know this year we bypassed any January thaw. Any predictions on tapping time? Someone should start a pool.

In any case I'm ready whenever that happens. I did build a second concrete arch this past summer so my production rate should be improved this season. I'll be looking to tap more trees and boil more in a session. We need 15 gallons this year.....consumption has increased! Last season warmed up too fast and I had to dump fermented sap, probably 1.5 syrup gallons worth. Hopefully with more boiling capacity I can avoid that issue. I also updated all my storage and collection buckets, so I've got 300 gallons of storage. No more milk jugs this year as well-all collect is in 1.5 to 3.5 gallon buckets via tubing. This will eliminate overflowing jugs in heavy flow days.

We'll see how it all unfolds as the season progresses. Best of luck to all the backyard enthusiasts and everyone "mapling" in 2022!!
    Two 2x4 concrete block arches with three steam trays each
    Tapping in Mount Vernon since 2016, 30 to 70 taps, 5/16" tube to 1.5 to 3.5 gallon buckets, some trees on collective gravity tubing to 5 gallon buckets.

Mostly sugar maples, a few reds on 200 year old homestead

Kinda hoping this cold holds out and makes for a longer season than the past few. We have been busy as well trying to get the outside of the sugarhouse finished up. Im just finishing our 3rd solar vac system. We are also still hoping to get a 1000' 1" mainline up to add more taps. So in our case, the deep freeze will only buy us time to get these projects done. Either way hoping everyone has a good season!
    West Sumner Sugar House
    West Sumner, ME
    500 +/- Taps - 2 x 8 CDL Venturi - 3 Shurflo Solar Systems - MES Dolly 300
    https://www.facebook.com/WestSumnerSugarHouse

We are all ready to tap in 2 of our 3 bushes. We tore down all the old lines down in our 3rd bush and have the new wire up. Hoping to run the 1000' of new mainline this weekend and get it mostly tied up. We should be able to add taps with the new line. Depending on when the season starts, we could be close on getting it done in time. This is one of the colder bushes so that helps. We're also hoping for a more normal 6 week season that goes into April. Hope everyone has a good season!
    305 taps on 2 Shurflo's, 31 taps on 3/16" and 229 taps on gravity. 565 in all
    Mountain Maple S3 controller for 145 of the vacuum taps
    2x6 Darveau Mystique Oil Fired Evaporator w/ Smoky Lake Simplicity Auto Draw
    Wesfab 7” filter press

I don't know if I can wait any longer... With the forecast to be 40+ for the next 4 days in Gorham and below freezing at night, I think I'm going to put out 10-20 taps today. then maybe add the remaining 50 over the next couple of weeks as weather and time permits. Am I crazy? Call me crazy...
    2023 - 40-ish taps (25-30 “effective” ones), tapped mostly in New Year’s Eve. 5 gallons of syrup.
    2022 - 70 taps - 12 gallons of syrup
    2021 - 72 taps ~ 8 gallons of syrup
    2020 - 8 taps on droplines into buckets, stove top boil, < 1 gallon syrup

A neighborhood consortium of red maple trees, a renegade group of neighborhood kids emptying 5 gallon buckets, a homemade RO, a 3 pan cinderblock evaporator near the street, and 1 very patient wife

I won't say you're crazy but I would wait if you are on buckets. Even with the temps, I wouldn't expect much sap till Friday or Saturday so you are looking at a small run. And I really wouldn't put too much faith in a forecast beyond early next week which looks cold. We're planning to tap the end of February like just about every year.
    305 taps on 2 Shurflo's, 31 taps on 3/16" and 229 taps on gravity. 565 in all
    Mountain Maple S3 controller for 145 of the vacuum taps
    2x6 Darveau Mystique Oil Fired Evaporator w/ Smoky Lake Simplicity Auto Draw
    Wesfab 7” filter press

I feel like Braveheart as the British cavalry was bearing down on his band of patriots (hold-- hold--hold). If it wasn't for the whopping child starting Saturday night I might agree with dropping taps in. I'm looking to perhaps tap the 16th or so depending on the 10 day forecast at that time. Even with nice weather for a few days the trees must be frozen tight.

In the meantime I put the tractor to work today moving snowbanks away from the 8 or so big sugars along the road so I can get to the trees. Additionally I need to "open" the maple trail everywhere with snowshoes so I will be ready to tap and collect when the time is right. Best to get th at done before the snow crusts over.
    Tapping in Mount Vernon since 2016, 30 to 70 taps, 5/16" tube to 1.5 to 3.5 gallon buckets, some trees on collective gravity tubing to 5 gallon buckets.

I've got a tapping question. If a suitably sized tree (15" diameter) breaks into two trunks less than 4' from the ground and each trunk is less than 10" diameter (though not by much) is one tap ok?

Looking to tap next Wednesday and Thursday if the weather stays as predicted.

I'd think it's OK. Depending how high you tap, you could alternate between the two trunks each year. In 30 years, they should have grown enough that you/someone could be tapping over old tap holes again.

On my 15 taps, I got 15 gallons last week and made a quart of syrup. Trying to put another 40 taps out Wednesday/Thursday before this next thaw. Will be interesting to see how big a run it is after several days of deep cold. Time to get the RO up and running...
    2023 - 40-ish taps (25-30 “effective” ones), tapped mostly in New Year’s Eve. 5 gallons of syrup.
    2022 - 70 taps - 12 gallons of syrup
    2021 - 72 taps ~ 8 gallons of syrup
    2020 - 8 taps on droplines into buckets, stove top boil, < 1 gallon syrup

A neighborhood consortium of red maple trees, a renegade group of neighborhood kids emptying 5 gallon buckets, a homemade RO, a 3 pan cinderblock evaporator near the street, and 1 very patient wife

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by Mvhomesteader View Post
    If a suitably sized tree (15" diameter) breaks into two trunks less than 4' from the ground and each trunk is less than 10" diameter (though not by much) is one tap ok?
    Diameter is measured at 4.5' above the ground. If the stem separates below that, you treat each as a separate tree. However, if your tapping threshold is 10 inches, but the individual stems at 4.5' are less than that (no matter that there are 1 or 2), then you wouldn't tap them. Can't have it both ways.

If they're close to your tapping threshold and you really MUST tap them, do as Canterbury Maple says and tap only 1, but alternate stems each year until both are large enough to tap.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

When is everyone tapping? Still seems early here with all the snow we have but the temps are looking good for next week.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast