+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: Backyard Syrup Enthusiasts 2022

We finished up today. Its all done except the cleaning. By far our best year year 85.5 gallons bottled up. May boil off some cooking syrup when we drain the pans. We always wanted to hit 75 and surpassed that this year. Only one problem...gonna be a 100 gallon goal next year. Anyways we will start pulling taps and flushing lines next weekend. Maybe get the evaporator cleaned too. Glad to see others having good seasons as well, I think we all needed it after last year.
    West Sumner Sugar House
    West Sumner, ME
    500 +/- Taps - 2 x 8 CDL Venturi - 3 Shurflo Solar Systems - MES Dolly 300
    https://www.facebook.com/WestSumnerSugarHouse

I finished up today making 4 3/4 gallons on 2 turkey burners with a 10 gallon pan and several 5 gallon stock pots. I didn't start till 3/15. I wrenched my back at work, didn't think i could do it. A few visits to the bone man and
    the bug kicked in!!!!! Sounds like most had a v. good year, that's great!!!

Turkey burner w/ 10 gl. pan
    22 tree's on 3'16 line gravity

I finished up April 3rd/4th with boiling. 50% more syrup than last year, and same amount of trees (better trees!). Had a nice neighborhood open house sugaring day on the 4th to distribute syrup dividends to everyone. Still cleaning up, one 5-gallon bucket at a time, so the season isn't over yet for me! Unfortunately... Dreaming about buying an arch, but more than likely will look to expand to 3-4 pans next year, get some stove pipe instead of cinder block chimney. Or maybe I'll just focus on the 2-3 properties that produce 75% of the sap I collect...

Glad everyone had a good year, and thanks again for the community here! To 2023 indeed...
    2023 - 40-ish taps (25-30 “effective” ones), tapped mostly in New Year’s Eve. 5 gallons of syrup.
    2022 - 70 taps - 12 gallons of syrup
    2021 - 72 taps ~ 8 gallons of syrup
    2020 - 8 taps on droplines into buckets, stove top boil, < 1 gallon syrup

A neighborhood consortium of red maple trees, a renegade group of neighborhood kids emptying 5 gallon buckets, a homemade RO, a 3 pan cinderblock evaporator near the street, and 1 very patient wife

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789