+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tapping 2022

all tapped by 2/11 this year. about 2 weeks earlier than last. But had two little runs so far that made the light stuff. sugar ranges from 1.3 - 3% so far based on which location. after each run, its gone into deep freeze and snow for a few days brings a nice break to the mayhem. Should be a big run early this week with it being above freezing a few nights, which is when I get huge flows. then late next week, looks more average temps for this time of year with another cold stretch. hopefully this pattern keeps up. Also wouldnt mind a long cold and snowy stretch since I love powder skiing as much as sugaring
    Last edited by canaanmaple; 02-20-2022 at 08:35 AM.

How the weather has changed, went from Alaska to the Florida in three days, looks likes maybe four days of good sap weather then no freeze in sight! Last year last boil on March 11, don’t look promising that date will be passed this year.
    Mark 220 Maple
    1100 taps on low vaccum, 900 on gravity.
    900 plus taps leased and on high vacuum
    35 cfm Indiana Liquid Ring Vacuum Pump
    80% Sugar, 20% Red MAPLES
    http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/g...Maple%20Syrup/

freezing here now, I watched the temps slowly come down over the evening and let my vacuum pump run through the night. Looks like some good runs are possible over the weekend. i need to at least double the syrup i've made, don't bring the spring too fast!!! i'm betting between 200 and 350 gal of sap a day, i figured i needed around that much with a good 14 days of run( i don't count the days of with no run as part of the season, lol). i'm only in 7 days of run, and 5 boils!
    2023 - 38 Gallons - RO broke, Buckets didn't run, rebuilt vacuum pump mid-season, still made good syrup!
    2022 - 52 Gallons - DIY RO, 50% less fuel, no late nights in the shack!
    2021 - 48 Gallons - new pans, new arch, lots of new taps and tubing
    2020 - 32 Gallons
    2019 - 27 Gallons

Quote Originally Posted by 220 maple View Post
    How the weather has changed, went from Alaska to the Florida in three days, looks likes maybe four days of good sap weather then no freeze in sight! Last year last boil on March 11, don’t look promising that date will be passed this year.
    Mark 220 Maple
    We didnt have any freezing temps for the past few days till now, but the sap didnt go nuts even thought it was almost 50 for a few days. I still collected over 900 gallons on 400 taps tuesday/wednesday but was expecting more. I think because there wasnt much sun, and the ground was still pretty frozen up till yesterday since its been so cold with minimal snow cover the past week or so and the frostline is deeper than usual. Looks like the 10day is a dream forecast for maple tho!
    Last edited by canaanmaple; 02-24-2022 at 10:54 AM.

CanaanMaple
    The forecast might be prefect for you, but not for me, approximately 30 air miles in West Virginia causes Syrup producers turn grey like me��
    Mark 220 Maple

CanaanMaple
    The forecast might be prefect for you, but not for me, approximately 30 air miles in West Virginia causes Syrup producers turn grey like me��
    Mark 220 Maple
    Wont let me post a pic of the screen shot, but 10day looks wild! https://chrome.wunderground.com/fore...wv/davis/26260

Now I will say the 3 days of 60's coming up isn't too comforting! Just hope it doesn't cause any budding, because right after it looks perfect and cold again with snow even... ground is starting to get soft finally after 3 days in the 40s-50s... been at it since 2/12, yesterday was a big flow!

Had a little fire in the sugar house, but i'm back up and running. The forecast looks good for me too. I am at about 50 gallons of syrup now, hoping to make it to at least 75gal. Time to go collect some sap!
    2023 - 38 Gallons - RO broke, Buckets didn't run, rebuilt vacuum pump mid-season, still made good syrup!
    2022 - 52 Gallons - DIY RO, 50% less fuel, no late nights in the shack!
    2021 - 48 Gallons - new pans, new arch, lots of new taps and tubing
    2020 - 32 Gallons
    2019 - 27 Gallons

Last night most certainly the last official boil of 2022, two days of 70s, daffodil’s bloomed and the peepers was singing for the first time, even the heavy female peepers was singing loud,so it is over for 2022, last year made it to March 11th, this year March 6th. Our seasons are becoming compressed, too warm in December to tap! And now too warm in March for quality syrup making!
    Mark 220 Maple

Last night most certainly the last official boil of 2022, two days of 70s, daffodil’s bloomed and the peepers was singing for the first time, even the heavy female peepers was singing loud,so it is over for 2022, last year made it to March 11th, this year March 6th. Our seasons are becoming compressed, too warm in December to tap! And now too warm in March for quality syrup making!
    Mark 220 Maple
    bummer! No peeps yet, but geese have come back to the pond, and the flies showed up on the sap tanks in droves with those warm days! Scrubbed all the collection tanks out last evening since those warm days really get the bacteria going in poly tanks On a cold weather delay now, and thankful for a rest!
    do you think you'll get a few days this coming week of sap down there?

Canaan Maple
    I will give you the same answer I gave Dr. Mike! Maybe Yes Maybe No. my last boil still producing pretty lite syrup, Oldtimer Ivan Puffenbarger always said they will run black then quit. The major question now will the sap be buddy? If the weather man is correct we will drop into the teens the weekend, I can break the rules and bump a bunch of taps and get a lot of sap.
    If over I usually go visiting, but with gas over 4 dollars a gallon, maybe next year
    Mark 220 Maple

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast