+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: tapping speed

I bought one of the lapierre 20+ buck super sonic drill bits. I have to say, it does drill a great hole. I did almost 400 today 19/64, and still had life in the second 18v dewalt battery. Would have been nice if I put them on the charger at the pump house. Holes are clean and it drills quickly. I did like the instructions say, high speed and it does great. If anyone is thinking about getting one they seem to be worth the money to me.

Default reds

hey matt i am useing a canadian bit drills great clean holes in sugar maples but not so clean holes in soft maples any ideas. seems to rip the smooth surface of the tree. do i need to use a faster speed?
    10,000 taps and adding on vac.4 liquid ring pumps, lapierre 5x14 thunderbolt, 1800 R/O

http://s213.photobucket.com/albums/cc279/mapletime/

Jeff I have the same problem with smaller reds. It doesn't matter if I use the Tanaka or the cordless. I think it is just the soft bark. The holes seam to seal good just the same.

Matt I use the 5/16" Canadian tapping bits. They are fast! Well worth the $21.00 in my book.

Russ
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Well I guess that i'm about the only one left Tapping by hand. We use 7/16th bits and have no problems, a good sharp bit and its about 4 or 5 revolutions and your deep enough. I did break one bit this year. don't know quite how, I had finnished drilling and was pulling the bit out when the bit broke off right at the tree. Still need to go back and get it out. I really don't mind tapping by hand. I really don't think that it would go any faster with a cordless.

-Ben

Perrinfarm2

I'll give you credit with 700 buckets and using a bit brace you don't back away from work that's for sure. Try one of those Canadian bits. They come in 5/16 and 7/16". use a good cordless drill on high speed and you will notice a big difference. Good luck on your 08 season!
    Mark
    1700 Taps /1600 on Vac. 3x10 King evaporator
    20 head Charolais cattle
    8 head Lowline Angus
    28 Miniature horses
    90 hives honey bees
    JD 4430 tractor

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345