Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Southwest PA Tapping 2022

Same...last few days for sure. I've been sitting at 1% as well so ratios are pretty bad and made a lot more dark syrup than unusual. Overall very happy as I'm at 32 gallons already and will probably finish out over 35 for the year.

Best wishes to all of you in the offseason... or should I say the "getting ready for syrup season" season. 😉
    D. Roseum
    www.roseummaple.com
    ~100 taps on 3/16 custom temp controlled vacuum; shurflo vacuum #2; custom nat gas evap with auto-drawoff and tank level gas shut-off controller; homemade RO #1; homemade RO #2; SL SS filter press
    2021: 27.1 gallons
    2022: 35 gallons

I finished with 12 gallons of syrup. Not bad for what I have now. I'm hoping to get to 100+ taps next year with a float box and maybe an RO system. I burned much more wood than I thought I would. There is a new RO that I saw: The new Leader Mini MicRO 110 volt RO machine, but that's an extra $2000. Is it worth it? I'm trying to make it as easy as I can for a one man operation. Currently I have all gravity fed taps with plastic and aluminum buckets on mostly flat land.

Have you considered building an RO?

You can build a smaller unit comparable to the larger RO buckets. This would be good for up to 100 taps. I have about 100 taps on vacuum which makes it seem like I have 200 taps and thats what I have and it works great for me.
    D. Roseum
    www.roseummaple.com
    ~100 taps on 3/16 custom temp controlled vacuum; shurflo vacuum #2; custom nat gas evap with auto-drawoff and tank level gas shut-off controller; homemade RO #1; homemade RO #2; SL SS filter press

I second the suggestion of The RO Bucket. They should have something that would work for you at a more affordable price. https://www.therobucket.com/product-category/ro-buckets/ro-buckets-ro-buckets/

DRoseum...
    Quote Originally Posted by DRoseum View Post
    ...I have about 100 taps on vacuum which makes it seem like I have 200 taps...
    At what vacuum level does it double the sap production? I have several 3/16 lines running between 14"-20" of vacuum and am trying to figure out the increase in sap with this vacuum levels.

[/URL]DRoseum...

At what vacuum level does it double the sap production? I have several 3/16 lines running between 14"-20" of vacuum and am trying to figure out the increase in sap with this vacuum levels.[/QUOTE]

University of Vermont proctor maple research center has show you get 4 - 6% increase in yield for every inch of vacuum applied at the taphole.

I see 20 to 25 inches at my pump and all my trees are up on a large hillside and each tap is getting near max vacuum of 29imhg.

Assuming 5% yield increase per inhg, 20 inhg vacuum will double your yield over gravity.
    D. Roseum
    www.roseummaple.com

Thanks for the idea. I did not know about the buckets. I think I'll look into the Rb15. I don't think I can do vacuum just yet. Most of my trees are spread out on the flat hundreds of yards from the house. I have a 17 acre hill that has sugar trees that I still haven't addressed yet. If there are enough trees, I will think about the vacuum. I think next year I'll try to tie in as many as I can on gravity.? Lots to do and think about in the off season. I appreciate the suggestions. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by SRM View Post
    Thanks for the idea. I did not know about the buckets. I think I'll look into the Rb15. I don't think I can do vacuum just yet. Most of my trees are spread out on the flat hundreds of yards from the house. I have a 17 acre hill that has sugar trees that I still haven't addressed yet. If there are enough trees, I will think about the vacuum. I think next year I'll try to tie in as many as I can on gravity.? Lots to do and think about in the off season. I appreciate the suggestions. Thanks again.
    Anytime! Its always fun to plan and grow and look for efficiencies. Almost as fun as making the syrup LOL.

The RB15 is good, but of you have plans to grow, get the biggest pump. I think that is on the 20 or 25 kit. Or you can just buy that pump from RO bucket or online. I use a coronwater typ-8900 on my home built unit (link below) and believe it is the same pump they use on their largest units.
    D. Roseum
    www.roseummaple.com

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234