Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Southwest PA Tapping 2022

Default Southwest PA Tapping 2022

Time to start the thread. Forecast looks like we might have a thaw and first runs Tuesday - Thursday. Very tempting to tap right before that.
    D. Roseum
    www.roseummaple.com
    ~100 taps on 3/16 custom temp controlled vacuum; shurflo vacuum #2; custom nat gas evap with auto-drawoff and tank level gas shut-off controller; homemade RO #1; homemade RO #2; SL SS filter press
    2021: 27.1 gallons
    2022: 35 gallons

Default Missing this run

I hope you get a nice run! I live in Armstrong County and I'll be missing this run. My son's coming up from Virginia and we'll tap the trees together on February 10 and 11. Meanwhile, I still have a lot to do in order to get everything ready.
    680 5/16 taps on gravity
    red and sugar maples
    2 Homemade ROs
    Stovetop evaporator
    Filter press by Daryl
    Star San Tube Pump
    Drying rack for hydrometer
    Loves tapping in snow

Default Tapped in 84 pa

18 buckets yesterday, sap was running on all but 1.
    I had a short season last year, it got warm during my second week and I pulled the taps because of the mold specks accumulated in the buckets. I only got about 3 gallons of syrup.
    Syrup season... Can't wait to start and can't wait to clean it all up. The busiest 4 weeks of the year!
    New 2x3 evaporator in 2019
    Nancy and Mike
    Our first time tapping, Spring 2009
    24 taps, (1) 2'x3' pan, Sugar shack is an easy up.

Tapped in Amity, PA. I built a new sugar shack 16 x 20 with a new 2x4 divided pan Corsair arch. That was an improvement from the propane tanks and burners last year. Today, the wife and I boiled 30 gallons to learn the process of the new arch. Well besides
    the 10" stainless steel chimney pipe turning bright orange nothing much out of the ordinary happened. The blower on the Corsair by Smoky Lake Maple was fantastic, almost too fantastic. I loaded the arch like the instructions said and lit the kindling. Then I started the blower and the fun began. The steam seemed to start within a few minutes and the boil followed. Then the nice attractive orange color of the pipe shown in the darkened shed. My wife wasn't too happy with the color so I shut off the blower and the stainless orange turned to a nice shade of purple. Well after a short 2 hours of adding wood without the blower on we were out of sap. The shed did not burn down and there was a nice gradient in the divided pan when we ended. I got another 20 gallons that afternoon, but will wait for about 60 gallons before I fire it up again. I didn't think that it would boil so quickly. Time to tap a few more trees. 70 gallons of sap. some boiled on the old propane burner and some on the new arch and some yet to be boiled.

It took us three days, but my son and I finished tapping today with help from a granddaughter, two grandsons and a friend. I leave my tubes out in the woods. I can't remember a year with more squirrel damage.

If the forecast holds up, there will be a huge run on Wednesday and Thursday. I'm ready!
    680 5/16 taps on gravity
    red and sugar maples
    2 Homemade ROs
    Stovetop evaporator
    Filter press by Daryl
    Star San Tube Pump
    Loves tapping in snow

SRM, Congrats on the corsair arch. I have had mine for four years and love it. I have the raised flue pan set. I usually do not even think about firing it up until I have a minimum of 125 gallons of sap. I can boil close to 50 gallons an hour with the blower on. Don't worry about the stack color it just means you have the rig working correctly.
    2004 - 2012 2x3 flat pan 25 to 60 taps
    2012 2x3 new divided pan w/draw off 55 taps
    2018 - didn't boil surgery - bought new evaporator
    2019 new SML 2x4 raised flue high output evap. 65 taps
    made 17 gal. syrup
    2020 - only put out 53 taps - made 16.25 ga.l syrup
    2021 - Didn't work out
    2022 - 25 taps on bags / 8 taps on 3/16's line - late start

SRM...I'm probably just down the road from you. Lone Pine.....Shipe Run Road.

All tapped. 81 taps. Collected 150ish gallons on Saturday and boiled down to about 10 gallons worth of concentrate. I'll probably finish that off tonight or tomorrow.

Attachment 22625

6.jpg
    Last edited by sbedilion; 02-14-2022 at 09:00 AM.

Sbedilion

cool photo!
    Steve

SE Pennsylvania

2022 - 13 taps, RO5, 21”x24” SS pan with pre-warmer pan, backyard made wood fired 55gal drum stove - 17.25
    2021 - 18 taps, RO5, 21”x24” SS pan with pre-warmer pan, backyard made wood fired 55gal drum stove - 12 pints
    2020 - 13 taps, RO5, backyard made wood fired 55gal drum stove with 2 lg 6” deep pans - 6.75 pints (very warm winter)
    2019 Rookie Season - 14 taps, RO5, turkey fryer with 6” deep pan - 16.5 pints

Low of 11 degrees last night and a high of 59 forecast for tomorrow! I can't remember a maple syrup season when the temperatures went down and up this fast.
    680 5/16 taps on gravity
    red and sugar maples
    2 Homemade ROs
    Stovetop evaporator
    Filter press by Daryl
    Star San Tube Pump
    Loves tapping in snow

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast