+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Big storm

Default Big storm

Anybody thinking about setting some taps out before this Saturday's big storm? It looks like we'll get some good days next week for the sap to run. I'm not sure I want to climb through a foot of snow, possibly, Monday and Tuesday. Thoughts?
    Last edited by CTfarm; 01-26-2022 at 11:44 AM.
    2024 55 3/16 gravity, 19 5/16 gravity, 40 buckets and bags, RO Bucket rb15 kit, 5ft Phaneuf drop flue evaporator, Mason AUF arch.
    2023 35 3/16 gravity, 30 5/16 gravity 53 buckets and bags, RO Bucket rb15 kit, 5ft Phaneuf drop flue evaporator.
    Mason AUF arch
    2022 35 3/16 gravity, 28 5/16 gravity, 50 buckets and bags, New RO Bucket rb15 kit.
    2021 11 on 5/16 gravity, 30 on 3/16 gravity, 69 on buckets and bags. All sugar maples. Mostly large old trees.

No, but sure thinking about setting tanks as this might signal a shift in the weather pattern.
    Bruce Treat
    825 Sugar Maple Taps
    3/16 w/ DSD .225 Spiles
    H2O RO
    H2O 2.5 X 8
    Bow, New Hampshire

I'd liked to have run my lines by now, but instead I'll get some cardio in! I'll probably decide Monday if I'm tapping. If it looks like another deep freeze is coming after this warm-up then I'll wait.

Definitely going to try and be ready to set taps if the forecast for next week holds.
    2017 25 taps on buckets got me hooked 1 gallon of sweet
    2018 51 taps on 3/16 tubing/ DIY oil tank evaporator 8.5gallons finished
    2019 60 taps 7 gallons finished ended season short
    2020 New 2x4 divided pan ready to get away from the headache that is steam table pans
    2021 off year due to pandemic and projects
    2022 back at it

Unfortunately, I’m not ready yet. Although, long range forecast in my area has a warm up late next wk, so I might have waited anyway.
    2017 - 20ish taps on buckets, boiling outside in two baking pans
    2018 - 70+ taps, 14-buckets, 50+ on tubing, homemade arch from oil tank in my barn, 17 gal syrup
    2019 - same set up, 20 gal syrup
    2020 - less taps, short season, but RO kit was fantastic! 6 gal syrup and a maple cat!
    2021/22/23 - expanded into the neighbors yards! 50 taps on buckets and 40 taps on tubing

Next week looks plenty warm for a run, but it seems so early. I guess it depends on how bored I get on Sunday.

I might throw a few taps in, this being my second year as a hobbyist I'd like to know the dangers of tapping too early. Any advice? if we go back to the cold weather and the sap slows or stops are these holes ruined? May be an elementary question but I thought I would ask.

It might not run so well for the first few days of the first warm up. The frost line has a pretty good grip on things this year. And if we get a good dump of snow the base of the trees will be well insulated.

With no snow to date to insulate things, I imagine the frost has dug in deep.

It took a few days last year and this year is even colder and deeper.
    If you think it's easy to make good money in maple syrup .... then your obviously good at stealing somebody's Maple Syrup.

Favorite Tree: Sugar Maple
    Most Hated Animal: Sap Sucker
    Most Loved Animal: Devon Rex Cat
    Favorite Kingpin: Bruce Bascom
    40 Sugar Maple Taps ... 23 in CT and 17 in NY .... 29 on gravity tubing and 11 on 5G buckets ... 2019 Totals 508 gallons of sap, 7 boils, 11.4 gallons of syrup.
    1 Girlfriend that gives away all my syrup to her friends.

As soon as you tap the clock starts ticking on the lifespan of that tap. Bacteria begin the process of plugging up the taphole and cutting off the flow of sap. This is a 4-6 week process if you are using buckets. You want to time your tapping to coincide with the greatest likelihood of optimal sugaring weather.
    60ish taps on buckets
    D&G Sportsman 18x63
    Turbo RB15 RO Bucket

+ Reply to Thread