+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 5/16 distorted/deformed while stretching

Default 5/16 distorted/deformed while stretching

So I put up my 1st 2 runs of 5/16 laterals the other day. Then, yesterday I went out to cut in the drops. I noticed 2 spots where the 5/16 was narrowed down like an hourglass; the one spot was probably down to about 3/16 OD, maybe less. I'm assuming I pulled it too tight when stretching it out the other day. I've got 2 rolls of 5/16; one is very light blue, I think it's 30p. But the other roll is slightly darker blue, not sure what brand/type it is, but the slightly darker blue stuff is what we used to run the laterals. Do these narrowed spots need cut out? I assume I should repair them with 5/16 - 5/16 connectors. These laterals will be put on a Shurflo for mech vacuum eventually. Thanks for the advice regarding whether these spots need repaired and how.
    2020 - 1st year - 13 black walnut taps - 4 bottles syrup
    2021 - 50 taps, 22 black walnuts/28 red maples - 4 gallons syrup
    2022 - 54 taps, 11 black walnuts/41 red maples, 20 on solar shurflo vacuum - 8.5 gallons syrup
    2023 - 47 taps on 45 red maples, 43 on solar shurflo vacuum

Yes, pulled to tight and you'll want a straight connector to fix it.
    CDL 2.5*8 Venturi with all the bells
    Leader Clear 5 bank filter press
    Memprotec 350H RO
    600ish taps and looking for more.

I agree with the fix. I'm surprised you were able to neck it down. I've seen it from a tree falling but not from myself tugging on it.
    Ken
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

To me sounds like deer ran thru,, or moose or cow
    2012 200 taps on buckets,,, Built me a 2' X 11' arch,,, hope to put most on tubing next year.

2011 100 taps on buckets, 30x 60 flat pan

2009 63 taps on buckets,,,, 30x60 flat pan

Thanks for confirmation about the fix.
    No moose or cows in these woods, just deer.......and squirrels; so I'm assuming it was the 230lb animal pulling on it during installation that did it.
    This is a flat woods, so I was pulling pretty tight to avoid sags and give it a slight pitch towards the pump.
    Any idea what brands/types of 5/16 tubing is less like to distort like this? Or do they all do that eventually with enough force?
    2020 - 1st year - 13 black walnut taps - 4 bottles syrup
    2021 - 50 taps, 22 black walnuts/28 red maples - 4 gallons syrup
    2022 - 54 taps, 11 black walnuts/41 red maples, 20 on solar shurflo vacuum - 8.5 gallons syrup
    2023 - 47 taps on 45 red maples, 43 on solar shurflo vacuum

30p which usually the cheapest and lasts the longest has zero give to it It can be difficult to work with.. Semi-rigid which seems to be the most popular and what we use has some stretch. We have used just about every brand and they all work. The key is to not to over tighten it. We also try to keep our laterals fairly short. If you need extra support we have found the black strapping that CDL has works well.
    CDL 2.5*8 Venturi with all the bells
    Leader Clear 5 bank filter press
    Memprotec 350H RO
    600ish taps and looking for more.

+ Reply to Thread