+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: LMP Maple 2022

Maple is like a black hole of improvements year to year that you just keep dumping money into. pumps, releasers, RO's, filters adding on to buildings for more space... then just when you get everything going good something burns out or breaks, or its time to replace something. every year its something. some of my tubing is rated for 5 years which I installed 12 years ago so thats my project for this summer. re-run some of my 3/4 inch mainlines with 1 inch 30p for better vacuum transfer and new tubing for laterals new drops and re-route a few to get less taps per lateral. hopefully make my woods more efficient and get more sap per tap.

but yep looks to be ending just as I feel we are getting ramped up. too bad. I have a lot of ice in the swamp so that might help me but with no freezing nights coming doesn't look good.
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

www.willowcreeksugarhouse.com
    585 or so on Vacuum, about 35 on buckets/sap sacs
    Atlas Copco GVS 25A Rotary Vane vacuum pump
    MES horizontal electric releaser
    2x6 ss phaneuf Drop flue, Leader woodsaver blower, homemade hood
    300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP
    Its Here!!! 2024 season is here get busy!!!

Pulled the plug on Wednesday. Tuesday was one of my biggest runs of the season. I boiled until 1 am and on my way to work on Wednesday morning at 5 am I said out loud in the car, to myself, time to call it a season. I do think the trees have a little more to give but I don't think they will make it through this warm up, here anyway. It was a great season for me. I think I will clock in at 22 gallons or so once I finish off what is in the evaporator in my canner. My goal was 20. I always find knowing when to start and when to end are some of the hardest decisions. This year I was mentally ready after Tuesday. If I had that run on a Friday night I might still be at it, but I have done this long enough to know it never runs on the weekend! I will untap everything on Saturday and start the clean-up. Planning next season and how to improve my efficiency. For those still in the game, keep pushing!

19x48 mini pro oil fired, Nano R/O, CDL Vacuum Press,Mountain Maple Vacuum setup
    6x12 sugar house off back of shed
    2024-103 Taps Mostly Sugars, Dozen Reds
    "The days are long, but the years are short"

Going to hang in there at least another week. Sap flowing well this week, even with warmup, but down to 1.2%. Only flowing on vacuum.........buckets forget it.
    Sitting at about 32 gallons for season; made 38 last year. Had a goal of 50 this season, but looking bleaker by the day.
    Maybe another freeze or two next week will do the trick.

Thanks, Bill
    2017 - 3 taps hanging buckets.
    2018 - 32 taps on 5 gal. buckets.
    2019 - New Mason 2x4 XL. 80 taps
    2020 - Barn / Sugarhouse finished. 125 taps. NextGen 1x40 RO
    2021 - 157 taps, 100 on 3/16 tubing w/two Shurflo set-ups, the rest on buckets
    2022 - 225 taps. 175 on 3/16 tubing, rest on buckets.
    2023 - 300 taps. 261 on tubing, 39 on 5 gal. buckets. Four Shurflo 12V set-ups.
    2024 - 340 taps. New SL 2x4 hybrid pan. Added second 1x40 membrane to RO

Ended my season at 21 gallons. Definitely pulled the taps early but I was done. It was a great year for me and we had a mini-open house on the 19th that was a lot of fun. I was just boiling water which gave me a chance to actually talk to people something I would not have been able to do with sap. Thinking about next year and how to get the surge out of my sureflow set-up. The solar panels were awesome and overall the system is great. Unfortunately, I see a 212 stainless tank in my future but beyond that I think my costs will be down for next year...........famous last words. Enjoy the ride!

19x48 mini pro oil fired, Nano R/O, CDL Vacuum Press,Mountain Maple Vacuum setup
    6x12 sugar house off back of shed
    2024-103 Taps Mostly Sugars, Dozen Reds
    "The days are long, but the years are short"

Wrapped it up last Saturday. Reds were popping and sugars were close. 49 gallons for the season (shoot...goal was 50) of 1/3 Amber and 2/3 Dark. First year no Golden. A couple new tanks planned for the off season, but no major expenses planned....ya right!
    Wacky year for sure. These heat wave spurts are killing us. Wondering if it's the new normal.
    Good luck to all in the off-season.
    Bill
    2017 - 3 taps hanging buckets.
    2018 - 32 taps on 5 gal. buckets.
    2019 - New Mason 2x4 XL. 80 taps
    2020 - Barn / Sugarhouse finished. 125 taps. NextGen 1x40 RO
    2021 - 157 taps, 100 on 3/16 tubing w/two Shurflo set-ups, the rest on buckets
    2022 - 225 taps. 175 on 3/16 tubing, rest on buckets.
    2023 - 300 taps. 261 on tubing, 39 on 5 gal. buckets. Four Shurflo 12V set-ups.
    2024 - 340 taps. New SL 2x4 hybrid pan. Added second 1x40 membrane to RO

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234