+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Northern MI Newbie checking in!

Default Northern MI Newbie checking in!

Howdy!!!

I'm finally able to post on here. Absolutely stoked and big thanks to the people that I emailed for getting everything squared away so that my account was functioning! When I was a kid, my great uncle had a pretty good sized operation in Northern MI. My dad spent a lot of time collecting sap and running the lines. And I spent a ton of time in the sugar shack enjoying the spoils.

Now that I'm an adult with kids at that age, it's time to do the same thing. Alas at a much smaller scale.

Was toying with/talking about building a cinder block arch when I was blessed with a used Leader Half Pint with a Smoky Lake Flat Pan for $400 delivered. I hooked a guy (that at the time was a stranger) up with a sweet deal on a boat back in 2020. He saw me starting to talk about syrup making and returned the favor. I have to install fire brick in it, which might be a trip here in the cold. I have a ton of questions, and am looking forward to asking them in the appropriate sections.

IonicTick

Welcome to the forum. You will find the most welcoming and wise sugar makers here that will share generations of knowledge. Just participating and reading the forum will jump start you venture and put you way ahead of the learning curve. You can learn years worth of experience in a short time. Feel free to ask, and remember there are no stupid questions or emabarassing deeds....we've already done them all. You will find expert producers who have made the dumbest mistakes, perhaps we can save you the grief we've already experienced.
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

Hey, where are you at in Northern MI? We're in the blooming metropolis of Berrien Center (where they took away the Post Office). We are in a similar boat as you-the kids, although perhaps a bit too young to help, are excited to see the sugaring process and be in the "shhh-ur shack." Welcome!
    Last edited by ebliese; 01-21-2022 at 09:05 AM.
    Daniel & Eleanor Bliese
    Heritage Woods, LLC
    SW Michigan

Smoky Lake 2x4 raised flue on Corsair arch
    The RO Bucket 80gph Single Post
    100 taps on buckets

I'd like to jump in on this thread. I think it is absolutely awesome you are looking to get your kids involved in maple (well really anything agricultural). No age is to young to learn and have fun while working hard. My first is coming Feb 20th and will be spending some time in the sugarhouse (mom cant go a whole season without taste testing I guarantee that)

IonicTick - Welcome to the trader. I started with my young lads helping me out, now I have grandkids who like to help Grandpa. I bought a small 100 gallon collection trailer last year so my oldest grandson can go out on his own with the quad and collect. Boy was he ever thrilled to find that out, he can't wait for spring. We try to make it a big family affair, especially on those nice warm days.
    2004 - 2012 2x3 flat pan 25 to 60 taps
    2012 2x3 new divided pan w/draw off 55 taps
    2018 - didn't boil surgery - bought new evaporator
    2019 new SML 2x4 raised flue high output evap. 65 taps
    made 17 gal. syrup
    2020 - only put out 53 taps - made 16.25 ga.l syrup
    2021 - Didn't work out
    2022 - 25 taps on bags / 8 taps on 3/16's line - late start

+ Reply to Thread