+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CDL 9" Vacuum Flter Press?

Default CDL 9" Vacuum Flter Press?

Anyone use one of these? I'm thinking of upgrading to it but have some questions about it that Bascoms doesn't have the answers to on its website
    2024 - New Maine resident, 12X12 sugar shack under construction
    2019 - New 12X12 boiling pavilion
    2018 - New Mason 2X3 Hobby XL and homemade RO

I just picked up a used one and I'm excited to give it a try. What questions did you have about it?
    60ish taps on buckets
    D&G Sportsman 18x63
    Turbo RB15 RO Bucket

Ecolbeck,

I am also interested in acquiring a vacuum filter.
    I am not sure what Eustis22 was interested in specifically, but can I pose a question to you?

Any idea why your seller was disposing of the unit?

The seller stated that they were upgrading to a higher capacity filtering system.
    60ish taps on buckets
    D&G Sportsman 18x63
    Turbo RB15 RO Bucket

Thanks for the quick response. I will probably be purchasing one (if in stock)
    Good luck with your unit.

Paul

a) do they come with all the filters I would require? (Probably a better question for CDL/Bascom's)?

2) Am I supposed to dump food grade diatomeceous earth into my hot finished product before passing it thru the filters?

a) I'm not sure if they come with filters but you would want to pick up some anyway to have on hand (especially pre-filters).

2) My understanding is that DE is completely optional. I plan to buy a small bag from my local supplier and give it a try.
    60ish taps on buckets
    D&G Sportsman 18x63
    Turbo RB15 RO Bucket

I will be starting my 3rd year with my 12” CDL Vacuum filter? Huge upgrade from using a flat and cone filter. I believe mine came with few of the felt and prefilters. I use DE with mine. Works much better that way. I use the main filter with 3-4 pre filters on top. After running a batch of syrup threw, which for me is usually between 3-10 quarts, I let it sit 10-15 minutes, then undo the top ring and take the top prefilter off and dump out the filter cake into a clean pail. At the end of the boiling session, I take all the syrup out and put it in my canner. I put all the DE that I used that day in the top of the filter and pour hot sap over it to flush out any remaining syrup. What I get in the filter I put back in the evaporator the next time I boil. I have found that letting too much DE accumulate in the top of the filters makes it hard to get the syrup threw. Dumping the cake off after running 1 maybe 2 batches through it works the best for optimal speed. I really like the vacuum filter, has really sped up the filtering process over the flat filter I used before.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

Picked one up at the Bascom open house this year. The nine inch version. Excited to use it. It did come with the filters but not many. I picked up some extras. After watching some videos online adding the DE seemed to help a lot so I picked up a bag. There are some good videos online of guys using the CDL versions and many homemade ones. I wanted a 'small' bag of DE however the smallest one Bascom had was 50 pounds, way more than i will ever need. It was only 35 dollars or so not a big deal. I store what I need in a food grade plastic bucket with a gamma seal. If anyone needs some DE and is near Hudson NH message me and the rest is all yours!

19x48 mini pro oil fired, Nano R/O, CDL Vacuum Press,Mountain Maple Vacuum setup
    6x12 sugar house off back of shed
    2024-103 Taps Mostly Sugars, Dozen Reds
    "The days are long, but the years are short"

Thanks, guys..I will make sure toi pick up extra prefilters and filters. Then youtube the DE process.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast