+ Reply to Thread

Thread: KY Newbie

Default KY Newbie

Thanks for letting me join the group. I live in North Central Kentucky Henry county) on a 220 acre farm. It's 100 acres pasture/hay and 120 woods. Up until last year when I retired I thought the woods was for hunting and never thought about managing it like the rest of the farm. Thanks to the folks at UK Forestry department I realized the woods need to be managed and have revenue potential beyond hunting and timber.

The professors introduced me to Maple syrup making here in KY and I have to tell you I am loving it. This will be my first year for a boiling sap but the fun I have had just being in the woods and setting lines and taps has been great. I am sure I will have many questions for the ole timers so, thanks in advance.

Warren Henning
    JD Gator 850D
    JD 5100
    MF4263
    Lapierre Waterloo Small propane (on load)
    A dog that carries off the firewood
    and a wife that helps me collect sap

Hey KYFarmer, I'm over here in Franklin county, near Bagdad. Are you tapping anything yet. I'm getting anxious, but the weather isn't cooperating. I missed out 3weeks of last years season - waited too long to start and don't want to do it again. I only have 10 acres here and about 30 trees but am going to try to sell some this year.

Yes I am. I started tapping after Christmas and have 110 taps in now. I collected about 50 gallons today and already have 250 gallons frozen. The sap was running hard at 4:30 today and I hope it will do well tomorrow also. I hope to start boiling Friday.

Welcome KY Farmer!! Check out the Kentucky Maple Syrup Association on Facebook if you have it. Kentucky State has some great initiatives for new sugar makers. We're in Lawrence County OH, just across the river from Ashland KY and Huntington WV. A couple of hours east of you but very similar climate. Sugaring in the South is a little different but it can be done! Have a great season! Holler if you need anything.

Ben Walker
    '12 15 jugs - Steam pans
    '17 125 3/16 - 18" x 72" drop flue on homemade arch
    '18 240 3/16 - Deer Run 125
    '19 450 3/16 - Converted RO to electric/added a membrane
    '20 600 3/16 - Maple Pro 2x6 Raised Flue, added AOF/AUF
    '21 570 3/16 - Built steam hood, Smoky Lake filter press
    '22 800 3/16 - Upgraded RO to 4 4x40
    '23 500 3/16 - Re-plumbed RO, new "Guzzler"
    '24 500 3/16 - Steam Away, DIY 8x40 RO

Welcome Warren,
    I'm in suburban Louisville, on a 3 acre lot but all my sap comes from University of Louisville property. We involve students with tapping trees on the main campus downtown, and I tap trees at a suburban campus east of downtown. In all, about 140 taps. All collection is with buckets or bags, which makes it a little trickier with timing as I can't afford to tap too early or too late. With tubing you get more flexibility with starting as there's little downside to taping early (re lifetime of tap hole)

I'm interested in hearing how your season goes - keep us updated!

Dave
    Dave Barker
    2014 30 taps, steam tray pans
    2015 ~100 taps, in conjunction with University of Louisville
    2x5 Smoky Lake hybrid pan
    2022 150 taps

+ Reply to Thread