+ Reply to Thread

Thread: connecting tank to evaporator

Default connecting tank to evaporator

Just finished my sugar shack build and now I'm curious how most folks go about connecting their tank to the evaporator? Specifically, I have a 275 gallon IBC tote that I'm trying to connect to a 2 inch ferrule in my evaporator. Planning to go through the shack wall with the pipe. Thanks!

i use clear pvc pipe threaded into the float in my flue pan.
    Awfully thankful for an understanding wife!

“The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.”
    - Vincent “Vince” Lombardi

Good luck to all!

Clear PVC piping is nice because you can see the sap. We use 1" clear PVC line. 1.5" outlet on our tank so we come through the wall with 1.5" stainless then have a coupling to go to 1". We have a tee in the 1"x1"X1.5" line to make a vertical sap level indicator inside the shack a couple feet down the run. We also have a drain valve after the tee that goes back out through the wall so we can rinse the tank out and not make a mess. We have 6-8" of threaded PVC out of the float box that connects to a union so we can disconnect the float box easily. A picture would be worth a thousand words right now. There's no wrong way to do it but there's some ideas for you.
    Forgot to add- we used the 1.5" stainless pipe from the tank because we had it in the cabinet and we figured if we ever had a freeze we could apply a little bit of heat to it. That would only happen if it got very cold, very quick at night. We haven't had to deal with that yet, but we did in the past when our boils were 10-12 hours instead of 3-4. We can usually time it pretty good now and avoid that situation thanks to a flexible work schedule but its there if we need it.
    Last edited by mainebackswoodssyrup; 01-11-2022 at 03:07 PM.
    305 taps on 2 Shurflo's, 31 taps on 3/16" and 229 taps on gravity. 565 in all
    Mountain Maple S3 controller for 145 of the vacuum taps
    2x6 Darveau Mystique Oil Fired Evaporator w/ Smoky Lake Simplicity Auto Draw
    Wesfab 7” filter press

+ Reply to Thread