+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sanitizing totes

Default Sanitizing totes

I read where you could use pool shock for sanitizing 3/16" tubing at a ratio of 1/2 cup to 50 gallons of water .

I was wondering if it would also work for cleaning totes.

Then I got to thinking about when I shock my in ground pool I use 2 bags of shock for 20,000 gallons.
    (I'm guessing that is about four cups of shock)
    Anyway, that leaves my pool with a heavy chlorine smell.....

Any thoughts if the 1/2 cup of shock to 50 gallons of water ratio would be fine?

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Not an answer to your question, but I'd just like to clear up things a bit here.

Calcium hypochlorite is commonly used to sanitize pools. SOME types are approved for use in sanitizing porous and non-porous materials in food facilities and thus are OK to use for maple tubing. SOME types are NOT approved and should NOT be used. Do not assume that all pool sanitizers are ok to use. Do your homework to determine whether the type you purchase is ok.

The ratio to use depends upon what you're using, so you do need to read the label to determine the correct dilution.

Metal equipment should never be soaked in a chlorine solution for a long period of time (unless your object is to destroy the equipment). Similarly, don't use chlorine in an RO system.

In all cases, use of chlorine (sodium or calcium) chloride requires a 5-10 minute minimum contact time, and should be followed by rinsing with potable water.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

I live in an area where access to pool chemicals is very limited. Is power washing pails and totes and barrels, sufficient? Is just flushing lines with water sufficient? It is hard to find calcium hypochlorite in these parts.

Are there other sanitizing chemical options?
    2022 - 5 pan block arch - 109 taps, 73 on 3/16 lines, 36 on drops into 5 gallon pails.
    930 gallons boiled, 109 L (28.8 gals) of delicious syrup made.
    DYI Vacuum Filter
    2023 - 170 taps, mostly on lines, 1153 gallons boiled, 130 L (34.34 gals) of delicious syrup made, on a 2x4 divided pan and base stack, 8” pipe, on a block arch that boiled at a rate of 13 gallons per hour.
    2024 - made 48 L, December to March, primarily over two fire bowls.

Quote Originally Posted by Swingpure View Post
    I live in an area where access to pool chemicals is very limited. Is power washing pails and totes and barrels, sufficient? Is just flushing lines with water sufficient? It is hard to find calcium hypochlorite in these parts.

Are there other sanitizing chemical options?
    Power washing has worked well for me. Key is to get to containers before mold starts growing.

Once mold starts growing on sidewalls it will want to come back easily even when rinsed/blasted away with just water.

Then you might need to go to something like star sans to knock out the culture. I.E. brings you back to ground zero.

My mold did not start for a few years or after the point I was not immediately rinsing/cleaning/drying things at seasons end with clean water.

Power washers are great for the task but remember a high enough setting/machine can scuff/rip up your polymer containers.

The 90 degree turn fitting attachment for spray head works well for getting in and back up under container tops.

Remember the 90 degree turn redirects force on the spray gun and it will try to rip the gun out of your hand if your not ready for it. Even rip your joint up too.

The higher the concentrate is in containers the faster the mold wants to get the block party started.

This year I left a trace of 8% in some 5 gallon jugs and man did that grow some black cotton candy fast.
    If you think it's easy to make good money in maple syrup .... then your obviously good at stealing somebody's Maple Syrup.

Favorite Tree: Sugar Maple
    Most Hated Animal: Sap Sucker
    Most Loved Animal: Devon Rex Cat
    Favorite Kingpin: Bruce Bascom
    40 Sugar Maple Taps ... 23 in CT and 17 in NY .... 29 on gravity tubing and 11 on 5G buckets ... 2019 Totals 508 gallons of sap, 7 boils, 11.4 gallons of syrup.
    1 Girlfriend that gives away all my syrup to her friends.

Starsan works great for keeping poly tanks and totes from growing mold. Just make sure to rinse before use in the spring or you could end up losing sap/syrup like I did.
    I pressure wash my tanks and use PBW as a cleaner. After rinsing I spray starsan in the tanks and let it dry. Works on stainless tanks and any transfer hoses as well.
    There are two versions of starsan, one is low foaming.
    Leader WSE 2x6 w/hoods
    12"x20" Mason Finisher
    250 taps.. Majority on tubing
    14'x20' sugarshack
    Kubota RTV900XT
    Home built Auto Drawoff
    Leader MicRO 2 RO
    www.mallardpondmaple.com

>It is hard to find calcium hypochlorite in these parts.

I got mine from Amazon.

I powerwash all sides, then add a diluted calcium hypochlorite solution, about 5-10 gallons worth, roll the tanks so all sides get a good sloshing, then let it sit on the bottom (where the last remnants of sap were for an hour or so, then drain and power wash everything again, then multiple rinsings/drainings.....then I let them sit in the sun to dry out before packing them away on their sides.
    2024 - New Maine resident, 12X12 sugar shack under construction
    2019 - New 12X12 boiling pavilion
    2018 - New Mason 2X3 Hobby XL and homemade RO

Quote Originally Posted by stoweski View Post
    Starsan works great for keeping poly tanks and totes from growing mold. Just make sure to rinse before use in the spring or you could end up losing sap/syrup like I did.
    I pressure wash my tanks and use PBW as a cleaner. After rinsing I spray starsan in the tanks and let it dry. Works on stainless tanks and any transfer hoses as well.
    There are two versions of starsan, one is low foaming.
    Would a 16 oz container of starsan get me very far?

Edit: I see you add 1 oz to 5 gallons, so that will be plenty. I got the low foaming type:

https://www.amazon.ca/Five-Star-FS-I...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

I will spray all of my barrels and containers.

Thanks
    Last edited by Swingpure; 04-26-2022 at 10:32 AM.
    2022 - 5 pan block arch - 109 taps, 73 on 3/16 lines, 36 on drops into 5 gallon pails.
    DYI Vacuum Filter
    2023 - 170 taps, mostly on lines, 1153 gallons boiled, 130 L (34.34 gals) of delicious syrup made, on a 2x4 divided pan and base stack, 8” pipe, on a block arch that boiled at a rate of 13 gallons per hour.

Quote Originally Posted by eustis22 View Post
    >It is hard to find calcium hypochlorite in these parts.

I got mine from Amazon.
    I cannot find it on the Canadian Amazon site. I will try and find it from a pool supply store when I finally travel to a larger centre that has one.

I have rinsed all of my tubing snd drops with copious amounts of water.

At one point this summer or fall I will use the calcium hypo chlorite, then rinse one time with water.

Now if I do not see any signs of mold in the lines, do I really need that step? I will be replacing all of my spiles/spouts.
    DYI Vacuum Filter

A little goes a long way! It looks as though I’ve used any!

Just don’t forget to rinse well before using!!! I’d hate to see someone else lose syrup because of it. I had to dump 5 gallons of syrup and about 200 gallons of sap so I could clean everything that was contaminated! Not good for a small sugarmaker!
    Leader WSE 2x6 w/hoods
    12"x20" Mason Finisher
    250 taps.. Majority on tubing
    14'x20' sugarshack
    Kubota RTV900XT
    Home built Auto Drawoff
    Leader MicRO 2 RO
    www.mallardpondmaple.com

Quote Originally Posted by stoweski View Post
    A little goes a long way! It looks as though I’ve used any!

Just don’t forget to rinse well before using!!! I’d hate to see someone else lose syrup because of it. I had to dump 5 gallons of syrup and about 200 gallons of sap so I could clean everything that was contaminated! Not good for a small sugarmaker!
    Thanks.

My plan is to spray my barrels and totes with the Starsan. Let it sit in them for the summer, then power wash everything in the fall, really well.
    DYI Vacuum Filter

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast