+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bird Poo!

Default Bird Poo!

We gathered 90 gallons of sap and cooked it most of yesterday. We left it steaming overnight. This morning there were 3 bird feathers floating on top of the syrup and a small bit of bird poo in it. I was able to scoop it out easily. I didn't know if we continue finishing, at those high temps, if the syrup would be safe or we need to dump it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    We gathered 90 gallons of sap and cooked it most of yesterday. We left it steaming overnight. This morning there were 3 bird feathers floating on top of the syrup and a small bit of bird poo in it. I was able to scoop it out easily. I didn't know if we continue finishing, at those high temps, if the syrup would be safe or we need to dump it all.
    Maybe it’ll taste like chicken
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

Quote Originally Posted by johnallin View Post
    Maybe it’ll taste like chicken
    Super helpful

I’ll eat almost anything, so if it were me and if the syrup is only for personal use I would just scoop out the poop, reboil and filter.
    60ish taps on buckets
    D&G Sportsman 18x63
    Turbo RB15 RO Bucket

I agree, re-boil and filter. You'll kill anything bad in it by boiling and filter as normal.
    2004 - 2012 2x3 flat pan 25 to 60 taps
    2012 2x3 new divided pan w/draw off 55 taps
    2018 - didn't boil surgery - bought new evaporator
    2019 new SML 2x4 raised flue high output evap. 65 taps
    made 17 gal. syrup
    2020 - only put out 53 taps - made 16.25 ga.l syrup
    2021 - Didn't work out
    2022 - 25 taps on bags / 8 taps on 3/16's line - late start

well I guess you could cook the sh!t out of it. If it's for personal use then it's your choice, but if for anyone other than you, dump it and learn to protect your pan. I think it would be safe, but I wouldn't let anyone else have it.

If your pan is still steaming you can suspend a cover a little above it to allow steam to leave. I cover mine after cooling every boil. I am assuming your outside, right ? I have left mine overnight if hot, but I am inside and shack is bird proof. If still steaming some, a block of 2x4 wood on side across each corner to hold my cover up. I have a piece of coated masonite for high moisture areas I lay on top of it. They sell some that meets USDA/FSIS requirements, but it is expensive. I have had mine for probably 5 years.
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by ecolbeck View Post
    Super helpful

I’ll eat almost anything, so if it were me and if the syrup is only for personal use I would just scoop out the poop, reboil and filter.
    Super helpful? Apologies but I was being sarcastic...my fault for not being clear.
    OP is making a food product, boil it all you want, but you're just increasing the ratio of bird sh#t to syrup.
    Probably kill most of the germs, but it's still going to taste like chicken. <grin>

Covering your syrup either while storing or processing is basic Maple 101 stuff, for that very reason.
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

We have the evaporator on a covered porch, but guess will have to rig something up to protect it. The first time I ever saw anyone tap maple trees, they were using open buckets and there was bird poo in some of those. It was a Mennonite farm and I am sure they just strained it, but I wanted to see if it was safe to do that. My syrup wasn't finished yet, so has a lot of boiling left.

Thanks! How high above your pan is your cover? Would that be food safe, if the steam hits the masonite and drips back into syrup?

When it is cool my cover goes right on the pan and pretty much seals it shut. I do my best to never cover a steaming pan. Again in a shack your pretty safe from most animals if you've sealed up openings. The masonite coating is safe as far as I know, it's advertised formaldhyde free and wash safe, thus meets USDA/FSIS requirements. Ideally a steam hood is best but a sheet of stainless steel would be next. You can get inexpensive SS for kitchen backsplashes that would work. Maybe you could rig a tent for cool down. It could be off the pan by a lot if it just protected from foreign matter from falling in. If a solid cover just slope it and condensation will run off. Your cover should be wider than the pan.

I am curious what others do that don't have steam hoods. This thread made me think about this more. Maybe I'll just pick up a piece of SS since my cover is getting some age.
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

Dump it out and start protecting the product. Lesson's learned the hard way are generally not soon forgotten.

+ Reply to Thread