+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shurflo substitue for off grid solar pump?

Default Shurflo substitue for off grid solar pump?

I'm looking to add a solar pump to my sugarbush this year to improve my sap collection yield. I have around 230-240 taps I'd like to put on this system so the recomendation from everything I can find is to use the Shurflo 4048 (4GPM) if going over 200 taps. In searching for these, I found a 5GPM pump at amazon that seems to have good reviews and is quite cheaper. Has anyone had experience with these? Any reason why this pump shouldn't work in my application?

Thanks in advance!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09196SLT3...dDbGljaz10cnVl
    2016 - 2 x 4 Randy Worthen built arch and pans 11 taps; 2.625 gallons of syrup!
    2017 - 29 taps; 11.625 gallons of syrup!
    2018 - 30 taps; 98 pints bottled! New sugar house being built, new equipment coming!
    2019 - 125 taps; 50 gallons made! New 2x6 Smoky Lake Corsair arch, drop flue pan, auto draw. Smoky Lake filter press and Steam Bottler
    2020 - 173 taps; only 35 gallons made.
    2021 - 242 taps; New record! 50.5 gallons made!
    2022 - 321 taps; New record! 80 gallons made!

I think you may be pushing the limits for a single diaphragm pump with that many taps, even with the 5gpm rated pumps. Especially if you have any minor leaks in your system. Is this system on mainline or individual 5/16 or 3/16 runs into a manifold? Is there a way you can break it up into two lines and just run two separate pumps? That adds quite a bit of upfront cost but will greatly increase your vacuum capabilities on each line which overall should yield more sap. Another option would be a guzzler which is good for around 400 taps, A lot more $ for the pump but would leave wiggle room for future added taps if they are available.
    Last edited by NhShaun; 01-10-2022 at 01:30 PM.
    6th season solo sugar maker in a young sugar bush of mostly red maples
    320 taps
    2x6 self built arch, Flat pans w/ dividers
    New 12x16 sugar house
    CDL hobby 250 RO

Individual 3/16 lines into a manifold. I'm trying to understand the sizing aspect. From what I've read a Shurflo 4008 rated at 3 gallons/minute can handle around 200 taps. The larger 4048 rated at 4 gallons/minute can supposedly support 300 taps...? Seems like a 5 gallon/minute pump should be able to handle 240 no?
    2016 - 2 x 4 Randy Worthen built arch and pans 11 taps; 2.625 gallons of syrup!
    2017 - 29 taps; 11.625 gallons of syrup!
    2018 - 30 taps; 98 pints bottled! New sugar house being built, new equipment coming!
    2019 - 125 taps; 50 gallons made! New 2x6 Smoky Lake Corsair arch, drop flue pan, auto draw. Smoky Lake filter press and Steam Bottler
    2020 - 173 taps; only 35 gallons made.
    2021 - 242 taps; New record! 50.5 gallons made!
    2022 - 321 taps; New record! 80 gallons made!

It all greatly depends on the particular set up and where you get your information. I have not seen the number of taps that high on any shurflo systems in my reading. If you're using all 3/16 lines with good slope into a manifold the pump can handle creating vacuum much easier than if you had them running on a 3/4" mainline with minimal slope. The difference in a comfortable tap capability for the same pump would vary quite a bit between those two systems.

I found this on https://www.mountainmaplefarm.com/pricing/
    I believe he understands these low cfm diaphragm systems quite well and has lots of experience. Maybe he has more information on how he settled on these recommended numbers below.

Shurflo 4008 3gpm 12 volt pump For 100 taps.
    Shurflo 4048 4gpm 12 volt pump For 150 taps.
    Shurflo 4008 3gpm 110VAC pump For 100 taps.
    Shurflo 4128 2gpm 12 volt pump Up to 75 taps.
    Shurflo 4138 3gpm 12 volt pump Up to 125 taps.
    Shurflo 4148 4gpm 12 volt pump Up to 175 taps.
    Last edited by NhShaun; 01-10-2022 at 02:40 PM.
    320 taps
    New 12x16 sugar house
    CDL hobby 250 RO

I use the 2088 pumps on up to 165 taps with no issues. It is a 3 gpm pump.
    Smoky Lake 2x6 dropflu pans and hoods on homemade arch
    Smoky Lake 6 gallon water jacked bottler
    Concentric Exhaust
    250 Deer Run RO
    325 taps

Quote Originally Posted by Super Sapper View Post
    I use the 2088 pumps on up to 165 taps with no issues. It is a 3 gpm pump.
    What kind of tubing set up are you using? Mainline or tubing into manifold?
    320 taps
    New 12x16 sugar house
    CDL hobby 250 RO

I had a Seaflo (a knock off Shurflo) pump that didn't last me a year. Towards the end of the season my sap numbers were dropping and I thought my tap holes were just closing up. Turns out the pump just failed to pump any longer. I went with a Shurflo and haven't had any issues. It wasn't worth trying to save a few dollars in this application (I can't even guess how many gallons of syrup I couldn't make). Looking at the reviews of that pump, I'd steer clear. (I wouldn't be surprised if Seaflo and KOLERFLO are the same company).

I've had reports that beyond a certain number of taps, you will still get sap flow but vacuum levels will drop, therefore sap production will be less. A customer with 150 taps had several runs of 3/16 lines connected that were separately valved, and he found that if one run was shut off, vacuum increased a couple inches. When that happens, that means the pump is undersized for maximum sap production. You can use a small Shurflo pump on 300 taps (not recommended!) and you will get sap but you will get reduced vacuum levels and reduced flow. No reason that 20" or more at end of lines cannot be seen with these pumps if everything is tight, set up right, and pump is correctly sized. Although finding problems in season is not always easy.

FYI I had two Seaflo 5.5gm transfer pumps stop working a couple years ago within days of each other, turned out that the pressure switches were bad on both units. Replacing them fixed it.

Dave
    Mountain Maple farm
    2022 NAMSC award winning dark amber syrup
    2023: 320 taps, 70% red maples. Mountain Maple S4 diaphragm pump controller with automated sap transfer and text messaging
    https://www.mountainmaplefarm.com
    https://www.facebook.com/MountainMapleFarm/

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by Biz View Post
    I've had reports that beyond a certain number of taps, you will still get sap flow but vacuum levels will drop, therefore sap production will be less.
    These types of pumps are made for moving liquid, not necessarily air. The CFM removal of air is typically quite low. Thus any small leak will drop the vacuum level quickly. The same however is true when the sap is running because trees produce not only sap, but also gas. The gas production rate goes up quickly as the temperature increases. This is compounded by the expansion of gases with temperature. All those things result in the vacuum level dropping with these pumps as the temperature gets warm. The pumps simply aren't able to move the gas out of the system fast enough to maintain a steady vacuum level. A recirculation line can help with some styles of pump (especially diaphragm pumps) as it helps to continuously move liquid, which also traps and removes some air from the line. The drop in vacuum can get really bad at the end of a long sap run if it is warm. That phenomenon is natural and is to be expected with these types of pumps. Only real recourse is to use a different style of pump made to remove air from the system. Generally if it is a quick drop in vacuum (to near zero) then it's a leak. If it's a slow drop-off in vacuum (but with some vacuum remaining) it is from tree gas production.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Quote Originally Posted by NhShaun View Post
    What kind of tubing set up are you using? Mainline or tubing into manifold?
    I have gone to using a manifold as there is less volume to move (gas and sap) to get and maintain vacuum levels. With 150 to 165 taps I can maintain mid 20's at the pump during a heavy flow. I do not use a recirc. line as close to 1/2 of my lines have good slope and they seem to provide the liquid to keep the vac levels up.
    Smoky Lake 2x6 dropflu pans and hoods on homemade arch
    Smoky Lake 6 gallon water jacked bottler
    Concentric Exhaust
    250 Deer Run RO
    325 taps

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast