+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stainless steel vs. poly storage?

Default Stainless steel vs. poly storage?

Hi all, it's that amazing time of year where I begin SERIOUSLY planning for the first maple run...we had a terrible season last year but did get caught with our pants down on a big sap run one day and maxed out our storage by like 50%. I've sold some (non-syrup) equipment and have some cash to throw at sap storage and also some new tubing equipment....my question is, will stainless steel be worth the investment if I go that route for sap storage?

I've read that microbial growth is significantly less on stainless but my dollar stretches almost twice as far per gallon with poly / IBC tote storage as it does with stainless steel. I'd thought about maybe just getting a stainless head tank but even that is obscenely expensive (more than my pan!).
    --
    2015: 8 bucket taps (7 red, 1 sugar) on DIY barrel evaporator
    2016: 13 taps (bucket and tube) on block arch and hotel pans
    2017: SAME
    2018: 25 taps on 2x3 flat pan and resurrected barrel arch
    2019: 25 taps...same setup plus DIY 3x150gpd RO filter
    2020: 50 taps, all buckets..."new" oil tank arch setup
    2021: 100 taps (50/50 buckets/3-16 tubing) on 2x4 divided pan
    2022: 150 taps (50/100 b/t) on 2x4 pan with sap warmer pan
    2023: SAME
    2024: 150 taps, added single-post 4x40 RO system

It depends on what you need, where the tank is and of course- what you want to spend. We use the IBC totes in the woods because we don't have any shelter and they keep the weather out. We may try and rinse these out once during the season but that's the most we do for in season cleaning and don't have any issues. But I'm not sure on the microbial growth or if it would be worse with RO'd concentrate in the totes. Our totes get a good cleaning before and after the season. We have a 800G stainless tank at the shack for a head tank that we pump into. It's under shelter and super easy to clean- just rinse and brush it to look shiny new. 1 big tank is a lot easier than dealing with several more IBC totes. Stainless tanks are just better but if they're not under cover you need to figure out how to keep the weather out. Be patient and look around for a used tank.
    305 taps on 2 Shurflo's, 31 taps on 3/16" and 229 taps on gravity. 565 in all
    Mountain Maple S3 controller for 145 of the vacuum taps
    2x6 Darveau Mystique Oil Fired Evaporator w/ Smoky Lake Simplicity Auto Draw
    Wesfab 7” filter press

We used to used two, 330 gallon totes for sap storage prior to running through the RO, but they were a pain to clean, and if not done properly, they would start getting crud in them if we had a warmer day. Two years ago we purchased a new 750 gallon stainless tank and it is so much easier to keep clean. We wash this tank, as well as our 100 gallon feed tank, out daily and they look like new. Definitely a lot easier than cleaning a tote.
    Gary
    16' X 24' Sugarhouse
    2' X 6' Leader Inferno Arch with Revolution Raised-Flue Pans, Smoky Lake preheater and hood
    Deer Run Maple gas-powered 250 RO
    WesFab 7" filter press
    Kubota 1100 RTV with tracks and 125 gallon tank for transporting sap
    800 taps on gravity and vacuum
    Very supportive wife who is the best coworker
    http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...ing-Sugarhouse

I would go with the stainless. Certainly stainless is easier to clean. I have two stainless tanks at the sugar house one is a 211 for the sap and I r/o from that into a 100 gallon stainless tank that feeds the evaporator. The stainless will hold its value. Its a one time purchase until you go bigger and the market for the smaller tanks is strong. Totes are easy to come by and cheap but they are a pain to clean. I bought a 275 gallon tote this year from a guy that was getting out of sugaring against my better judgement but it was a deal I could not pass up. The first thing I did was cut the top off. This makes it easy to clean. By cutting the top about 8 inches down I can remove the whole top and clean it out well then the top slips back over the lower section to prevent water from getting in. I will use this in the woods on a 40 tap run. As long as I do not get over 200 gallons of sap in a single run I wont lose any. To me its the only way you can clean the totes. The tops are just too small to really give them a good cleaning they way they come. I have used the plastic 55 gallon barrels where the tops come off completely in the woods and those are ok.
    As far as a cover for the stainless I have built covers out of wood and plastic roofing pieces they work fine and as long as you secure them they will keep the rain etc. out. This year I bit the bullet and bought two fitted stainless steel covers fabricated by a local metal shop. The covers cost me more than the tanks but again for me its a one time purchase. There is also a cleaner look with the stainless. When people come to the sugar house I take a lot of pride in having clean stainless equipment.

19x48 mini pro oil fired, Nano R/O, CDL Vacuum Press,Mountain Maple Vacuum setup
    6x12 sugar house off back of shed
    2024-103 Taps Mostly Sugars, Dozen Reds
    "The days are long, but the years are short"

Stainless is a better route so that you can keep it clean, but I get it from a cost standpoint that plastic is more friendly. if you decide to go stainless plan for the future and you will find it may be cheaper in the long run. Tanks are one of those items where i think the dealers price gouge the smaller producers on. When you get into larger size tanks and push on the price stainless comes out cheaper than plastic. Maybe look at taller tanks instead of longer tanks because that helps in savings.

Another idea is getting a galvanized tank (you can get them for close to free) and epoxy paint it. I have heard of people doing that.

Stainless is definitely the way to go if you can afford it. We used IBC tanks for several years (& still do for transport) but the last couple of years we have been buying milk tanks when we can find them for for about $1/gallon (got lucky on a couple & get them for less than that). They have lids, drain completely and the stainless is MUCH easier to clean than the plastic.
    Doug
    Maple Creations
    Coatesville, IN
    350 taps on 5/16 tubing & 4 Lunchbox pumps
    MemProTec Concentrator 300 RO
    Wood-fired 30"x8' D&G Model 500 raised-flue w/Steam hood & blower
    Smoky Lake finisher, D&G filter press,
    http://www.facebook.com/maplecreations

i have both, poly and stainless. my poly feed tank gets a quick rinse after every boil. my poly storage tanks the same. rinsed out after every time it gets emptied. cut the tops right off of them and you can clean them out fairly easy. but i agree with everyone else. if you can afford the stainless, do it.
    Awfully thankful for an understanding wife!

“The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.”
    - Vincent “Vince” Lombardi

Good luck to all!

+ Reply to Thread