+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Diaphragm Pump Sizing and Limits

Quote Originally Posted by DMF View Post
    Thanks for the explanation. This kind of goes against the advice of not putting too many lines on one pump though no? It seems if you need to recirculate sap out of the tank to keep the pump pulling a vacuum, then wouldn't additional lines/taps serve the same purpose? I'm sure there's something I'm missing....
    The recirculation line guarantees there is sap going to the pump which helps keep consistent vacuum, it also prevents surging. Well, that's assuming there is some sap in your tank for it to pull from. Having extra lines will bring more sap when it's running well but not so well after a hard freeze and slow warm up during the day. Having extra line also increases your chances for leaks and the demand for more CFM from an already low CFM pump style.
    6th season solo sugar maker in a young sugar bush of mostly red maples
    320 taps
    2x6 self built arch, Flat pans w/ dividers
    New 12x16 sugar house
    CDL hobby 250 RO

Ive found when you have leaks you will hear your pump gurgling. Even on low flow the pump should have a nice steady hum. Spent the better part of a day last year tracking down a tap that must have it a hollow spot in a tree and was sucking air. Once I eliminated that drop line, back to good vac and no gurgling.
    West Sumner Sugar House
    West Sumner, ME
    500 +/- Taps - 2 x 8 CDL Venturi - 3 Shurflo Solar Systems - MES Dolly 300
    https://www.facebook.com/WestSumnerSugarHouse

Quote Originally Posted by SeanD View Post
    Was about to pull the trigger on a 4048 when I came across this Shurflo 5059. Seems like more bang for the buck than the 4048, but seeing your results with larger pumps has me wondering, Dave. Giving this a bump to see if anyone else has tried a larger Shurflo.
    I thought I'd update this topic with my results. The 4048 was on back order, so took a flier on a 5059 and I can officially say, it's the shizzle. When I tested the box before putting it out, it was pulling more than 25" on a 5/16" test line with no need for any pinching with pliers like I usually do with a 4008. It just fits into my existing box, so the dimensions they had posted for it were way off. The biggest improvement is that it overcomes small leaks and makes them much easier to find. I had taps pushed out all over the place after the freeze up we just had and it was still pulling 15". With the smaller pump, finding leaks was too much guesswork. I love the 5059!
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanD View Post
    I thought I'd update this topic with my results. The 4048 was on back order, so took a flier on a 5059 and I can officially say, it's the shizzle. When I tested the box before putting it out, it was pulling more than 25" on a 5/16" test line with no need for any pinching with pliers like I usually do with a 4008. It just fits into my existing box, so the dimensions they had posted for it were way off. The biggest improvement is that it overcomes small leaks and makes them much easier to find. I had taps pushed out all over the place after the freeze up we just had and it was still pulling 15". With the smaller pump, finding leaks was too much guesswork. I love the 5059!
    That’s great. Keep us updated on how it performs over the season.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

[QUOTE=Biz;399385]I tried a Delavan 5gpm pump in place of my Shurflo 4008 early last season,

I've used devlan and everflows in the past. I think the main difference in them is the shurflo's 5 diaphragm design(some of the older shurflo's had 4) compared to the three diaphragm design, the frequency of the check valves closing is much higher with 5 than it is with 3 or 4 and in my experience they pull more vac faster. I ran a 4008 on a 3/4" main this year with 350 taps, was able to keep 10" while simultaneously pumping 20' uphill to my pumpline. The other day when I was pulling taps, I found the end tap on a new lateral I put up, 1200' 3/16 with 25 taps, I guess I didn't have any end line tee's so I'd tied the tubing around the tree. I'd venture to guess i'd got a lot higher vacuum with that lateral sealed off. I have a couple of manifold set ups that I get 25-27" on 50 or so taps on 3/16 laterals with the 4008's.

I'm curious about the 1059 now, 2x the $$ but less than 2X the flow. The things we have to ponder in the off season.( We're done for the year down here in southernmost OH)
    '12 15 jugs - Steam pans
    '17 125 3/16 - 18" x 72" drop flue on homemade arch
    '18 240 3/16 - Deer Run 125
    '19 450 3/16 - Converted RO to electric/added a membrane
    '20 600 3/16 - Maple Pro 2x6 Raised Flue, added AOF/AUF
    '21 570 3/16 - Built steam hood, Smoky Lake filter press
    '22 800 3/16 - Upgraded RO to 4 4x40
    '23 500 3/16 - Re-plumbed RO, new "Guzzler"
    '24 500 3/16 - Steam Away, DIY 8x40 RO

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12