+ Reply to Thread

Thread: evaporator firebox

Default evaporator firebox

I just purchased a cdl 18x48 hobby evaporator it has an open bottom on the firebox no ash pan
    any suggestions as what kind of base to build under it considering my sugar house has a wood floor
    should the evaporator be raised so that there is a gap between the floor and firebox or or can it sit flat ?
    Thanks

Is there a part missing or is that how it was designed? You could try sandwiching a piece of ceramic insulation blanket between some sheet steel. It will stop the ashes and keep the heat off your wood floor. I would still place another sheet of metal under the whole firebox and firewood loading area if your floor is wood, an air gap between that and the wood would be even more safe(except for the tripping hazard of a raised floor)
    6th season solo sugar maker in a young sugar bush of mostly red maples
    320 taps
    2x6 self built arch, Flat pans w/ dividers
    New 12x16 sugar house
    CDL hobby 250 RO

it was designed this way cdl said it was designed this way to allow for people to elevate the arch

Both the 18x48 CDL that I used to own and my current D&G 18x63 had open bottoms. I simply added a piece of sheet metal to the base under the firebox to create an ash catching area. This also allowed me to add a blower to both rigs as well. Simple and easy to do.
    60ish taps on buckets
    D&G Sportsman 18x63
    Turbo RB15 RO Bucket

I will do that
    Thanks

I never hd any evaporator with a bottom or ash pan in it. My Half pint sat on a concrete slab, no issue. My 2x6 Leader drop flue was on a wooden floor. I made a platform using 8x8 16 concrete blocks and I used a piece of 16 ga galv tin as a floor under the fire, no problem. I laid the blocks so the openings were out the sides, the top was solid. It worked very well. Because the floor was wood, I made the block platform over sized. I think that base was about 18-20" wide, my platform was 30" wide, in front I had an apron of concrete blocks that extended out front about 30", also capped with tin, but I think that was 24 ga, and around the edges on both I had bent the tin down at 90 degrees about 1" downward, thus to start each was over sized 2". That worked very well for 4 season.
    Then I removed the wooden floor, filled the area with crushed stone and under the arch area I had footings down 4' and concrete blocks laid up for support. I filled the boxes formed by the blocks with crushed stone and then poured 4-5" of concrete floor.
    My next evaporator was a 3x8, no bottom under the fire, but it sat on the concrete floor, never any issues.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

If you are going to just put a sheet of tin under the firebox, do not set it directly on the wooden floor, the heat will get to it and at some point start the floor on fire. Protect it with some non combustible that can also insulate too.
    You don't want to burn the sugarhouse down!
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by emq View Post
    I just purchased a cdl 18x48 hobby evaporator it has an open bottom on the firebox no ash pan
    any suggestions as what kind of base to build under it considering my sugar house has a wood floor
    should the evaporator be raised so that there is a gap between the floor and firebox or or can it sit flat ?
    Thanks
    http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...all...../page2

I believe on page 2 you will see how we bricked UNDER firebox. You probably could do similar but make it extra large.
    1960 - 1970s 70 taps on galvanized buckets with Dad and Grandpa.
    1970s - 1985 Acted crazy!
    1986 - 2005 20-30 buckets.
    2006- 2017 70 buckets and bags
    2017-2019 100 bags and buckets
    2020 Finally retired!!! 75 buckets, 50-75 on tubing. RO Bucket, New 12 X 16 Shack and a 42X42 flat pan.
    2021-Adding another 125 taps along with a second RO bucket.
    2022- Shooting for 350 taps, with 100 on lines.
    Lots of Family and Friends and dogs named Skyy and Nessy!

+ Reply to Thread