+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2022 Missouri Tapping Season

I'm a small timer here in Defiance, MO with only 75 taps. I put in about 30 taps a couple weeks ago and it's been pretty poor flow so far. Normally by February I've had at least a couple boils but not enough sap yet. I think I have maybe 15 Gallons of sap frozen in buckets outside buried under 10 inches of snow.

We need a few days well above freezing to get this ground thawed and the sap rising!

Good luck to all!
    -Kyle
    ~75 taps
    5/16th tubing to buckets
    homemade steam pan evaporator
    two great assistants (my kids)!

Anybody else in Western MO/Eastern KS using 3/16 gravity and not getting any sap this season? I’ve only made 4 gallons of syrup compared to 31 last year and I’m trying to figure out if it’s because tubing doesn’t work as well this far southwest or if it’s the weather.
    2013-2019 - pots, blocks, buckets, and smoke in the eyes. Couple gallons here and there.
    2020 - Smoky Lake 2x4 divided pan on oil tank arch. 100 taps on bags. 21 gallons.
    2021 - 110 taps on bags. Pre-heater experiments. 31 gallons.
    2022 - 14 taps on bags, 85 taps on 3/16 gravity. Pre-heater made of 3/8”x40’ copper tubing wrapped around flue working pretty good. 12 gallons
    2023 - 143 taps on 3/16 gravity. Two collection points - 41 gallons
    2024 - 140 taps on 3/16 gravity.

I'm not in Missouri, but I have had inconsistent flows too. I seen someone else say that as well. I was ready for a monster run last week and it never happened. I had one good day and and two mediocre ones. The good day was half what I expected. I still have a lot of frost in the ground here in southern ohio and we are just recovering from that huge ice storm. I think when the dam breaks it'll be a mad rush and a short season. I am probably 30% behind where I should be with syrup made.
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

Season was short for me. I have pulled everything and cleaned up. Weather seamed to not cooperate, but my total numbers are ok I guess. This year I had more trees and more taps, and produced less. Not sure if others are no longer active here or just posting elsewhere. Hope the rest of you have a good season.
    Lots of trees, bees, rocks, firewood, and syrup.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12