Thread: 2022 Go big or go home!

Threaded View

Default 2022 Go big or go home!

http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...-Can-I-improve

So... I haven't stopped thinking about sugaring since I stopped last year.
    I ordered a new pan from Silver Creek, to replace my warming pans. Part of the reason is I felt like I was losing too much heat out the side, even with bricks lining the edge of the grill http://www.maplesyruppans.com/index....&product_id=93

This baby fits right over the 3 "turkey" burners, I am SUPER excited to try it out.

I also after going back and forth for months, got an RO bucket, the RB10. I only expect to have 40-50 taps this season and most likely at MOST 75 in the next 5-6 years.

I just got my order of glass and taps (and a couple metal tins) for the season and I think I may this weekend, start cutting some drop lines. It is still too early around here to tap for sure, but I am itching to start getting things ready.

Last season I ended up with about 145 OZ total which was awesome. This year I am hoping for 3-5 gallons. I also am going to make candy again, and I think i am gong to take some down to granulated sugar. I have always wanted to do that. Hey next Christmas, sugar cookies can be MAPLE sugar cookies!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    NOTES
    1) Note to self, until I can figure out how to hook up 2 tanks at the same time, need to swap out tanks every 1.5-2 hours.
    2)When precutting drop lines, put the taps in one end, in the house when cutting them. Will make it much faster in the bush.
    3)After washing out buckets at end of season, make sure they are all dry.
    4)Re-hook up trailer as soon as tank is drained
    5)Heat tape for Ball valve?

Things to buy for next year
    FILTER PRESS!!! MUST
    65 gallon tank MUST
    Sap Hydrometer
    Syrup Hydrometer
    Trailer Stand
    40 gallon Propane tank
    Hand-truck
    Finishing pan for on stove? (with some kind of drain) or coffee pot that goes up to 190 but big enough for filter inside?
    2x55 Gallon drum for sap and permeate? (will have a 35 for concentrate if I get the 65 gallon tank)
    Last edited by TheNamelessPoet; 02-28-2022 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Adding Notes
    2020 - 1st year - 14 taps 1 Gallon Jugs + 4x 5-Gallon Buckets + Propane Grill + lots of headaches
    2021 - 2nd year - 19 Taps (and some free sap from a friend in the same town!) 145 or so OZ
    2022 - 3rd year - 46 taps (3 at home, 2 at neighbors, 38 at friends, and 3 at work) added ROBucket RB10, and Silver Creek 18x34x6 Divided Maple Syrup Pan w/warming Pan+Valve+Thermometer 6 Gallons 6 OZ!
    2023 And we grow some more... Starting with OldPostMaple.com!