+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Food Grade?

Default Food Grade?

Am I wrong for assuming this is food grade? I mean it is for beer brewing so I would ASSUME, but I don't really know much about chrome plating, and you know what happens when you assume lol.
    https://www.kegworks.com/inline-ball...SABEgJNtfD_BwE
    2020 - 1st year - 14 taps 1 Gallon Jugs + 4x 5-Gallon Buckets + Propane Grill + lots of headaches
    2021 - 2nd year - 19 Taps (and some free sap from a friend in the same town!) 145 or so OZ
    2022 - 3rd year - 46 taps (3 at home, 2 at neighbors, 38 at friends, and 3 at work) added ROBucket RB10, and Silver Creek 18x34x6 Divided Maple Syrup Pan w/warming Pan+Valve+Thermometer 6 Gallons 6 OZ!
    2023 And we grow some more... Starting with OldPostMaple.com!

Anything chrome plated eventually chips and/or gets some oxidation on it. I have a chrome plated wire rack that looks a bit shabby now. Not the end of the world, but if it touched the product, I'd want to replace it.

For just a little bit more money, you can get a stainless steel valve here. I THINK they typically have the best prices.
    https://www.proflow-dynamics.com/pro...ll-valves.html
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

As Sean stated...best to avoid these plated valves and go with stainless right from the start.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

And SS will last forever as long as you don't close it with the ball full. I avoided that by using double valves. For that I closed the higher valve, drained down so the lower valve was empty, then closed the lower valve and opened the higher valve. To do this you need a way to be certain the lower valve to empty. I did it with light blue mainline and I could see the sap in the line if not drained.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I agree with going stainless from the start. If you change your system you can re-use the stainless components over and over. Heck, maybe even the next few generations of sugar makers in your family could too.
    Proflow dynamics has a great selection, pricing and customer service.
    6th season solo sugar maker in a young sugar bush of mostly red maples
    320 taps
    2x6 self built arch, Flat pans w/ dividers
    New 12x16 sugar house
    CDL hobby 250 RO

Thanks for the advice. Pay now, or pay more overall later!
    2020 - 1st year - 14 taps 1 Gallon Jugs + 4x 5-Gallon Buckets + Propane Grill + lots of headaches
    2021 - 2nd year - 19 Taps (and some free sap from a friend in the same town!) 145 or so OZ
    2022 - 3rd year - 46 taps (3 at home, 2 at neighbors, 38 at friends, and 3 at work) added ROBucket RB10, and Silver Creek 18x34x6 Divided Maple Syrup Pan w/warming Pan+Valve+Thermometer 6 Gallons 6 OZ!
    2023 And we grow some more... Starting with OldPostMaple.com!

+ Reply to Thread