+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2022 worried about sap run

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    The status of fall levels and types of amino acids in relation to spring sap flavor is basically unknown. What we do know is that: 1) amino acids (mostly nitrogen containing types) are implicated as precursors in metabolism off-flavor, 2) that metabolism tends to occur more frequently in areas with high soil nitrogen and 3) metabolism is generally an early-season phenomenon, 4) metabolism is sometimes regional and 5) it often occurs following winters without many substantial thaw periods.

Part of the problem is that many producers confuse metabolism off-flavor with buddy off-flavor. They are two very different things. Another complicating factor is that the detection threshold for metabolism varies considerably from person to person. Some people can taste it (and find it objectionable) in very low quantities. Others can't taste it until it is very prominent, and don't find it especially nasty.
    Where would you say trees who's roots systems have easy access to septic/leach field areas fit in? Do they have access to high levels of nitrogen? If so are they potential problem makers and at high risk of metabolizing syrup?

Can 2 or 3 bad apples sour 47 other sweet apples?
    If you think it's easy to make good money in maple syrup .... then your obviously good at stealing somebody's Maple Syrup.

Favorite Tree: Sugar Maple
    Most Hated Animal: Sap Sucker
    Most Loved Animal: Devon Rex Cat
    Favorite Kingpin: Bruce Bascom
    40 Sugar Maple Taps ... 23 in CT and 17 in NY .... 29 on gravity tubing and 11 on 5G buckets ... 2019 Totals 508 gallons of sap, 7 boils, 11.4 gallons of syrup.
    1 Girlfriend that gives away all my syrup to her friends.

The polar vortex has shifted east. I think the colder nights some people wanted will be realized. It is definitely winter here and much of January looks to be pretty chilly and colder than average, at least around these parts of the maple sap area.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0d4I...z6amj3WuWXMGGw
    2022 - 5 pan block arch - 109 taps, 73 on 3/16 lines, 36 on drops into 5 gallon pails.
    930 gallons boiled, 109 L (28.8 gals) of delicious syrup made.
    DYI Vacuum Filter
    2023 - 170 taps, mostly on lines, 1153 gallons boiled, 130 L (34.34 gals) of delicious syrup made, on a 2x4 divided pan and base stack, 8” pipe, on a block arch that boiled at a rate of 13 gallons per hour.
    2024 - made 48 L, December to March, primarily over two fire bowls.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar Bear View Post
    Where would you say trees who's roots systems have easy access to septic/leach field areas fit in? Do they have access to high levels of nitrogen? If so are they potential problem makers and at high risk of metabolizing syrup?

Can 2 or 3 bad apples sour 47 other sweet apples?
    They would certainly have more access to N. It is hard to say though whether they'd be more prone to metabolism. It is really the interplay of a number of factors. Whether you detect it in your syrup in low levels depends upon your sensitivity to the compound creating the off-flavor.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    They would certainly have more access to N. It is hard to say though whether they'd be more prone to metabolism. It is really the interplay of a number of factors. Whether you detect it in your syrup in low levels depends upon your sensitivity to the compound creating the off-flavor.
    Interesting because I did notice a very slight off/different flavor to my syrup last year. Nothing that kept me from using it anywhere. Or nothing that kept anyone from asking for more of it. Or "friends" showing up for it and then more of it.

But way too many changes to my equation last year to fully conclude anything from anything.

1) We did have a long contiguous freeze cycle of at least three weeks last year from late January well past the first two weeks of February. And then sap took a good week to get going after a warm up as it will. ( would be supportive of metabolism syndrome )

2) Added 10 Red maple taps 5 of which qualified as "swamp maples" growing out of always firm and walkable flood plain.

3) Added 2 Silver maple taps ( above average sap production ) which had very good access to extended leech field. Also in nearly always walkable flood plain. ( Not sure how the leech field ever got approved as it is a neighbors property ).

4) Added what seemed to be a outstanding functioning home built RO ( and did all cleaning procedures as suggested and then some by heating my rinse water to 100 degrees )

5) I also heard of a couple of others in the region commenting on a slight different taste last year as well. ( would be supportive of metabolism syndrome )

I suppose Red Maples on flood plain may be able to get their roots on more N than others as well?
    If you think it's easy to make good money in maple syrup .... then your obviously good at stealing somebody's Maple Syrup.

Favorite Tree: Sugar Maple
    Most Hated Animal: Sap Sucker
    Most Loved Animal: Devon Rex Cat
    Favorite Kingpin: Bruce Bascom
    40 Sugar Maple Taps ... 23 in CT and 17 in NY .... 29 on gravity tubing and 11 on 5G buckets ... 2019 Totals 508 gallons of sap, 7 boils, 11.4 gallons of syrup.
    1 Girlfriend that gives away all my syrup to her friends.

Remember this discussion from a couple of weeks ago? Maybe less an issue now that winter feels like winter.
    Ken
    Last edited by TapTapTap; 01-15-2022 at 08:46 AM.
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

Back to the original topic of this thread - worrying about the weather. All we can do is be ready to tap and process sap when Mother Nature says its time. The weather during the season has far more affect on your yield and the quality of the syrup you make than the weather 2-3 months prior. I'd say the way winter has gone so far has been good in our area. Not many days above freezing, little snow (until today!) and a number of very cold days to drive the frost into the ground. 12" to 24" of frost in the ground with about 2 feet of snow in the woods is where I want to be when the season starts.

I used to lose sleep worrying about the weather and other things I had little to no control over. The RO stressed me out, I'd worry about the vacuum pumps, my evaporator blowers, the ATV, the tractor etc... and none of that worrying helped me make more or better syrup. Once I realized that energy spent worrying was better spent preparing I slept better and was able to enjoy making syrup.
    4,600 Taps on vacuum
    9,400 gallons storage
    3 tower CDL RO
    3.5'x14' Lapierre Force 5
    Twitter & Instagram: @ennismaple
    www.ennismaple.com

Quote Originally Posted by TapTapTap View Post
    Remember this discussion from a couple of weeks ago? Maybe less an issue now that winter feels like winter.
    Ken
    Yes, I stand corrected in this very very cold insane winter. My worry is over. I just hope I don't turn into an ice mummy with -19 degrees.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12