+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Just a few RO questions

Quote Originally Posted by Swingpure View Post
    I have finally bit the bullet and will be building a budget DYI RO.

It has an Aquatec 8800 pump, good for 200 GDP. I also, for the moment have two 150 GPD membranes. I may get a third membrane. This setup is what I could afford, I realize a more powerful pump and higher GPD membranes would be superior...
    My very first post here so be gentle! Having moved from Alabama to Michigan's Upper Peninsula in Sept 2020, I had my first opportunity of tapping and making syrup last Spring. After three boiling sessions, I quickly came to the conclusion that there has to be a better way! I wanted a mobile unit so I built one on a cart. Also, I included a UV sterilizer that will (hopefully) do two things: sterilize, of course and maybe raise the temperature of the sap just a bit to the minimum temp required. I would love to include a picture of my 'attempt' but apparently I am too new here and cannot get a picture to load nor can I include it as an attachment??? Swingpure, I hope that it is okay that I piggybacked on your thread as I see that your proposed setup is not vastly different than mine and I really, really wanted to include a picture.

Why not run the pump overnight?

Quote Originally Posted by fireant911 View Post
    My very first post here so be gentle! Having moved from Alabama to Michigan's Upper Peninsula in Sept 2020, I had my first opportunity of tapping and making syrup last Spring. After three boiling sessions, I quickly came to the conclusion that there has to be a better way! I wanted a mobile unit so I built one on a cart. Also, I included a UV sterilizer that will (hopefully) do two things: sterilize, of course and maybe raise the temperature of the sap just a bit to the minimum temp required. I would love to include a picture of my 'attempt' but apparently I am too new here and cannot get a picture to load nor can I include it as an attachment??? Swingpure, I hope that it is okay that I piggybacked on your thread as I see that your proposed setup is not vastly different than mine and I really, really wanted to include a picture.
    I would love to see your setup. If you use an apple product and have iCloud, you can copy a link from iCloud and paste it in a thread. The cart sounds cool. I am for the moment will be setting it up in my heated garage. It would be great to RO right beside the evaporator.
    2022 - 5 pan block arch - 109 taps, 73 on 3/16 lines, 36 on drops into 5 gallon pails.
    930 gallons boiled, 109 L (28.8 gals) of delicious syrup made.
    DYI Vacuum Filter
    2023 - 170 taps, mostly on lines, 1153 gallons boiled, 130 L (34.34 gals) of delicious syrup made, on a 2x4 divided pan and base stack, 8” pipe, on a block arch that boiled at a rate of 13 gallons per hour.
    2024 - made 48 L, December to March, primarily over two fire bowls.

Quote Originally Posted by markgm View Post
    Why not run the pump overnight?
    My goal is to process 50 gallons from 3 pm to 11 pm and another 50 gallons from 11 pm until 7 am. If I am getting overrun with sap, I will do a little more (25 gallons) from 7 am until 11 am.

I am starting to move towards having a separate concentrate barrel. I will have to learn how fast in reality my RO unit processes 50 gallons of sap.
    2022 - 5 pan block arch - 109 taps, 73 on 3/16 lines, 36 on drops into 5 gallon pails.
    DYI Vacuum Filter
    2023 - 170 taps, mostly on lines, 1153 gallons boiled, 130 L (34.34 gals) of delicious syrup made, on a 2x4 divided pan and base stack, 8” pipe, on a block arch that boiled at a rate of 13 gallons per hour.

I built my RO in a cooler that has a handle and wheels.
    Its mobile and insulated (with a heater control) so I can leave it outside by my evaporator all season. It also has a level sensor to turn on and off automatically to give me a head start on the heavy sap runs before I get off work. Video below.

https://youtu.be/9_Eq_sq6Tp0

Quote Originally Posted by fireant911 View Post
    D. Roseum
    www.roseummaple.com
    ~100 taps on 3/16 custom temp controlled vacuum; shurflo vacuum #2; custom nat gas evap with auto-drawoff and tank level gas shut-off controller; homemade RO #1; homemade RO #2; SL SS filter press
    2021: 27.1 gallons
    2022: 35 gallons

Quote Originally Posted by Swingpure View Post
    I would love to see your setup...
    I would love to share them but it looks like the ability to post pictures is still not working. I can describe it though! The front of the cart holds an elevated five-gallon bucket which feeds to the Aquatech pump, then to a sediment filter, to a UV sterilizer, and then to four RO filters. The front of the machine's base is hinged so that I can store refractometers and other pieces of equipment. The rear section that has the RO filters is removable thereby allowing any maintenance of the filters. I will keep checking to see when the ability to include a picture is restored and I will post it.

If storing the concentrate for 10 hrs or so in a snow bank, I suggest you only concentrate it to 3% sugar, then closer to when you boil, take it to 4-4.5%. You need to realize, when you remove water from the sap, you are concentrating the microbes along with the sugar. The microbes feed on the sugar, as they feed you lose some sweet, and get darker syrup. Concentrate at 4% or above should be boiled soon after concentrating.
    One alternative is bring the concentrate to a boil for 15-30 minutes, then let it cool and then store it in the evaporator. The boiling will kill off the microbes. If freezing weather expected, drain the pan into a bucket with a good taper to allow for freezing, you could then put it in your snow bank, or bring it into an unheated garage or other minimally heated location, cover it so nothing can get to it.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

what happens if you freeze your concentrate after RO in a chest freezer?
    Steve

SE Pennsylvania

2022 - 13 taps, RO5, 21”x24” SS pan with pre-warmer pan, backyard made wood fired 55gal drum stove - 17.25
    2021 - 18 taps, RO5, 21”x24” SS pan with pre-warmer pan, backyard made wood fired 55gal drum stove - 12 pints
    2020 - 13 taps, RO5, backyard made wood fired 55gal drum stove with 2 lg 6” deep pans - 6.75 pints (very warm winter)
    2019 Rookie Season - 14 taps, RO5, turkey fryer with 6” deep pan - 16.5 pints

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    If storing the concentrate for 10 hrs or so in a snow bank, I suggest you only concentrate it to 3% sugar, then closer to when you boil, take it to 4-4.5%. You need to realize, when you remove water from the sap, you are concentrating the microbes along with the sugar. The microbes feed on the sugar, as they feed you lose some sweet, and get darker syrup. Concentrate at 4% or above should be boiled soon after concentrating.
    One alternative is bring the concentrate to a boil for 15-30 minutes, then let it cool and then store it in the evaporator. The boiling will kill off the microbes. If freezing weather expected, drain the pan into a bucket with a good taper to allow for freezing, you could then put it in your snow bank, or bring it into an unheated garage or other minimally heated location, cover it so nothing can get to it.
    Ironically, yesterday I picked up more parts for my RO and I was going to start assembling it today, but that now is on hold.

When I decided to build an RO and ordered the parts, I did not have an appreciation for the fact that basically an RO is essentially a direct to evaporator operation. I have read different things about concentrate storage and thought at the time of ordering everything, that keeping the concentrate in below freezing temperatures, in the dark, would be sufficient for a 10 hour period.

If the concentrate basically has to almost immediately go into the evaporator, my two 150 gpd are useless, as they cannot keep up with the boil rate of my evaporator. I bought them over the 400 gpd because of budget reasons, but until I find a way to buy the 400 gpd membrane and housing, the RO project is on hold.
    DYI Vacuum Filter

I just ordered the 400 gpd membrane and will try and sell the others. I will change my plan on how I will use the RO and will just start ROing an hour or so before I start to boil and I will use smaller barrels, and if the weather is warm enough, set it up beside the evaporator.
    DYI Vacuum Filter

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast