+ Reply to Thread

Thread: No squirrels

Default No squirrels

I'm always hearing about squirrel chews on lines. I realized the other day that in fifty years of roaming our woods in the Eastern foothills of the Berkshires, I cannot recall seeing a single squirrel on our property. Billions of chipmunks, way too many mice, not to mention deer, bear, etc. But not one squirrel. Weird, huh? Where are they?

Gabe
    2016: Homemade arch from old wood stove; 2 steam tray pans; 6 taps; 1.1 gal
    2017: Same setup. 15 taps; 4.5 gal
    2018: Same setup. Limited time. 12 taps and short season; 2.2 gal
    2019: Very limited time. 7 taps and a short season; 1.8 gals
    2020: New Mason 2x3 XL halfway through season; 9 taps 2 gals
    2021: Same 2x3, 18 taps, 4.5 gals
    2022: 23 taps, 5.9 gals
    2023: 23 taps. Added AUF, 13.2 gals
    2024: 17 taps, 5.3 gals
    All on buckets

Quote Originally Posted by berkshires View Post
    I'm always hearing about squirrel chews on lines. I realized the other day that in fifty years of roaming our woods in the Eastern foothills of the Berkshires, I cannot recall seeing a single squirrel on our property. Billions of chipmunks, way too many mice, not to mention deer, bear, etc. But not one squirrel. Weird, huh? Where are they?

Gabe
    Do you have a bird feeder? Mine usually hang out there. Too much work chewing acorn shells you know.
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

Until last year, I could have said that same thing. Last year, I he'd minor damage only I didn't realize how minor at that time. This year, I have somewhere north of 10% of my tees damaged, a lot of drop lines ruined and even 50 or so spiles that have been chewed through. Hope you don't have to complain about squirrels for as long as you are making maple syrup. I now have increased my bounty to $10 per tail for kids who shoot them on my property.
    Matt,
    Minehart Gap Maple

Gabe
    Want some? I ship in lots of 50.
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

I have never put up a bird feeder there. And no need to ship us a box of squirrels, I suspect that the minute I put up any lines the squirrels will magically appear!

GO
    All on buckets

Boy , you are one lucky person. I replaced close to 30% of the tubing and fittings in the back half of my woods a week ago when checking lines.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

I assume you've got nut trees - oak, hickory, etc.

If you do then you've got squirrels. Look for their tree nests which are easy to spot this time of year.
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

I hear you BAP, I had one lateral that I just run all new and it was new last year. I think I used over 500 ft of tubing just to repair squirrel damage. I have a mixed woods of oak and hickory in the back and my maple bush towards the front. Then the neighbor cut his timber and cut hard, taking almost all the mature nut trees. So the bastards moved down on me.....
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

Yep, plenty of nut trees. Oak, hickory (all bitternut, hardly any shag bark) a lot of beech, birch, red and sugar maple, ash, pine, hemlock, etc. No one tree dominates anywhere. It's no benefit to me, as I have no lines. Just an odd mystery.

GO
    All on buckets

Yep, plenty of nut trees. Oak, hickory (all bitternut, hardly any shag bark) a lot of beech, birch, red and sugar maple, ash, pine, hemlock, etc. No one tree dominates anywhere. It's no benefit to me, as I have no lines. Just an odd mystery.

GO
    For us the odd mystery is rabbits. Everywhere I have lived we have had lots of rabbits. I now live in a rural area, with a wide assortment of trees. Lots of squirrels and chipmunks and mice and even the odd groundhog, but I have never seen a rabbit on my property and only rarely in the winter, do I see a rabbit track. We have a lot of predators, hawks, eagles, owls, fox, fishers, coyotes, wolves, mink and even cougars, so they must be being kept well in check.

We have more red squirrels, than black or grey. I have been discouraging the red squirrels. So far I have not witnessed any line damage yet, but maybe that starts to happen once the sap runs.
    2022 - 5 pan block arch - 109 taps, 73 on 3/16 lines, 36 on drops into 5 gallon pails.
    930 gallons boiled, 109 L (28.8 gals) of delicious syrup made.
    DYI Vacuum Filter
    2023 - 170 taps, mostly on lines, 1153 gallons boiled, 130 L (34.34 gals) of delicious syrup made, on a 2x4 divided pan and base stack, 8” pipe, on a block arch that boiled at a rate of 13 gallons per hour.
    2024 - made 48 L, December to March, primarily over two fire bowls.

+ Reply to Thread