+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sap Boil Time for Steam Pans

Default Sap Boil Time for Steam Pans

Assuming you always maintained the perfect 2” level in all of the pans, would the syrup produced be different if you boiled for 4 hours, 8 hours, 12 hours, or 24 hours?

The real question is: is there a perfect boil length of time?

I would like to make as much amber coloured syrup as possible. I know there are a number of variables that go into what colour is produced, but as an example, if I did two 5 hour boils, instead of one 10 hour boil, would it make a difference?
    2022 - 5 pan block arch - 109 taps, 73 on 3/16 lines, 36 on drops into 5 gallon pails.
    930 gallons boiled, 109 L (28.8 gals) of delicious syrup made.
    DYI Vacuum Filter
    2023 - 170 taps, mostly on lines, 1153 gallons boiled, 130 L (34.34 gals) of delicious syrup made, on a 2x4 divided pan and base stack, 8” pipe, on a block arch that boiled at a rate of 13 gallons per hour.
    2024 - made 48 L, December to March, primarily over two fire bowls.

I don't know of a way to nail down a boil time Gary. I boil until I get syrup off the pan. I have an auto-draw system that I pre-set usually on the high side so that at the end of the day I can adjust with hot sap to the correct Brix. Using your steam pans will be determined by how fast they boil off and that change in the sap itself. It can go really fast when it happens, so stay on top of it. those bubbles will get smaller and smaller and begin to come together and all of a sudden they rise, FAST!!!
    You are at or really close to syrup at this stage.
    2004 - 2012 2x3 flat pan 25 to 60 taps
    2012 2x3 new divided pan w/draw off 55 taps
    2018 - didn't boil surgery - bought new evaporator
    2019 new SML 2x4 raised flue high output evap. 65 taps
    made 17 gal. syrup
    2020 - only put out 53 taps - made 16.25 ga.l syrup
    2021 - Didn't work out
    2022 - 25 taps on bags / 8 taps on 3/16's line - late start

Could you say more about what you would be doing differently to create these different boil times?

GO
    2016: Homemade arch from old wood stove; 2 steam tray pans; 6 taps; 1.1 gal
    2017: Same setup. 15 taps; 4.5 gal
    2018: Same setup. Limited time. 12 taps and short season; 2.2 gal
    2019: Very limited time. 7 taps and a short season; 1.8 gals
    2020: New Mason 2x3 XL halfway through season; 9 taps 2 gals
    2021: Same 2x3, 18 taps, 4.5 gals
    2022: 23 taps, 5.9 gals
    2023: 23 taps. Added AUF, 13.2 gals
    2024: 17 taps, 5.3 gals
    All on buckets

Quote Originally Posted by berkshires View Post
    Could you say more about what you would be doing differently to create these different boil times?

GO
    I was thinking around the four hour mark, I would start consolidating the pans into one and around the five hour mark pour off the final pan. Any pan emptied, would be refilled with Sap to start the next 5 hour cycle.

After first posting this thread, on an almost unrelated older post, I saw that Groves did the following:

“ If you value the lightest syrup possible, you will start will all of your pans full and as they get dangerously low in sap level, you will consolidate them into one pan and put all of your new sap into the now empty pans.”

Gary
    2022 - 5 pan block arch - 109 taps, 73 on 3/16 lines, 36 on drops into 5 gallon pails.
    DYI Vacuum Filter
    2023 - 170 taps, mostly on lines, 1153 gallons boiled, 130 L (34.34 gals) of delicious syrup made, on a 2x4 divided pan and base stack, 8” pipe, on a block arch that boiled at a rate of 13 gallons per hour.

Yes consolidating in these smaller batches will yield lighter colored syrup. The hard part on a wood fired arch is lifting those all off and dumping them and refilling them without scorching pans or getting smoke/ash everywhere.
    D. Roseum
    www.roseummaple.com
    ~100 taps on 3/16 custom temp controlled vacuum; shurflo vacuum #2; custom nat gas evap with auto-drawoff and tank level gas shut-off controller; homemade RO #1; homemade RO #2; SL SS filter press
    2021: 27.1 gallons
    2022: 35 gallons

Quote Originally Posted by DRoseum View Post
    Yes consolidating in these smaller batches will yield lighter colored syrup. The hard part on a wood fired arch is lifting those all off and dumping them and refilling them without scorching pans or getting smoke/ash everywhere.
    Thanks, I also have to consider how well my insulation stays in place between and at the ends of the pan.

At least for the first boil or two, I will keep it simple and just try and make syrup, whatever the colour is, and we will see what I end up with it.

If down the road, if I want lighter, I may give it a try for shorter batches. I designed my arch so that it is easy to grab on to the pan ends. If ash does fly up in a big way, it will become a non starter.
    Last edited by Swingpure; 12-19-2021 at 11:22 AM.
    DYI Vacuum Filter

Quote Originally Posted by Swingpure View Post
    I was thinking around the four hour mark, I would start consolidating the pans into one and around the five hour mark pour off the final pan. Any pan emptied, would be refilled with Sap to start the next 5 hour cycle.

After first posting this thread, on an almost unrelated older post, I saw that Groves did the following:

“ If you value the lightest syrup possible, you will start will all of your pans full and as they get dangerously low in sap level, you will consolidate them into one pan and put all of your new sap into the now empty pans.”

Gary
    Okay, this makes sense. But it's not what you described, when you asked about keeping 2" in each pan. I couldn't reconcile the two, which is why I asked what you had in mind.

GO
    2016: Homemade arch from old wood stove; 2 steam tray pans; 6 taps; 1.1 gal
    2017: Same setup. 15 taps; 4.5 gal
    2018: Same setup. Limited time. 12 taps and short season; 2.2 gal
    2019: Very limited time. 7 taps and a short season; 1.8 gals
    2020: New Mason 2x3 XL halfway through season; 9 taps 2 gals
    2021: Same 2x3, 18 taps, 4.5 gals
    2022: 23 taps, 5.9 gals
    2023: 23 taps. Added AUF, 13.2 gals
    2024: 17 taps, 5.3 gals
    All on buckets

Swingpore.

Remember to build your stack as tall as you possibly can. The taller it is the better your draft will be and THE MORE IT WILL REMAIN even when you take pans off for syrup removal.

If your drafting well you will find it easy to remove pans with nearly no smoke/ash discharge.

Damp wood knocks down draft as well. If your forced to feed both dry and damp wood, save the dry for when full combustion and optimum draft is critical.
    If you think it's easy to make good money in maple syrup .... then your obviously good at stealing somebody's Maple Syrup.

Favorite Tree: Sugar Maple
    Most Hated Animal: Sap Sucker
    Most Loved Animal: Devon Rex Cat
    Favorite Kingpin: Bruce Bascom
    40 Sugar Maple Taps ... 23 in CT and 17 in NY .... 29 on gravity tubing and 11 on 5G buckets ... 2019 Totals 508 gallons of sap, 7 boils, 11.4 gallons of syrup.
    1 Girlfriend that gives away all my syrup to her friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar Bear View Post
    Swingpore.

Remember to build your stack as tall as you possibly can. The taller it is the better your draft will be and THE MORE IT WILL REMAIN even when you take pans off for syrup removal.

If your drafting well you will find it easy to remove pans with nearly no smoke/ash discharge.

Damp wood knocks down draft as well. If your forced to feed both dry and damp wood, save the dry for when full combustion and optimum draft is critical.
    Thanks again for the tips.

The length of the stovepipe for my summer tests was 9’ tall as in the picture. I will be adding another 3’ section for a total of 12’ and it will be dead straight up and down.

The wood I have for it comes from four sources. I have up to 3 face cords (which I hope to only use part of) which is two years seasoned in a covered shed. I have wood right beside the evaporator, (about 3 face cords) that is one year seasoned, that is sort of out in the open, but is covered by a piece of poly as shown in the picture. I also have about ten bins worth of construction pine scraps, five of which you see in the picture. I also have about 2 face cords of 2 year seasoned wood in another location that is open on one side with poly on top.

To your point I will save the covered wood for the critical times, when the pans might come off.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/069H...gM67y0wIX9O7SA

https://share.icloud.com/photos/097C...nHF7ubXm_wLeAQ
    DYI Vacuum Filter

Keep a 5 gallon bucket of water close. When you consolidate the pans , pour it in the empty pan. It keeps the hole covered so heat won't escape and keeps the what would be empty pan from scorching. Then , use that hot water to clean both pans at the end of the day. Just my batch boiling method!

+ Reply to Thread