+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 10" filter press

Correct, similar to the info i relay to folks about using 3/4” to 1” mainline.
    Our filter press stays plenty hot. Ive had to change it out up to 2 times in the past years with boils and with a decent tap increase coming it will be great to have the capacity

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    This is due to the fact that the filter capacity is related to the square of the size (in addition to the number of plates). A 7" plate has an area of 49 square inches per plate whereas a 10" plate has an area of 100 square inches per plate. So in this case going up 3" in dimensions doubles the filter area and capacity. Makes a huge difference.

Bigger is not always better, and you can go too big. You want the press to remain REALLY hot during filtering, so if you're not running enough through it at one time (or continuously depending on your setup), then the syrup can cool off too much, making filtering more difficult and making your drum (or container) not truly hot-packed. Presses should be sized appropriately to your operation and style of processing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUYtobgcvZE&t=3s
    https://mapleresearch.org/pub/filterpressop/
    https://mapleresearch.org/search/?_sf_s=filtering

Last year was our worst year as far as sugar content and changing presses. My wife changed the presses 4 times each in one boil many times, the niter was horrible. The syrup was light but it all filtered hard for us. Most years we use two to three presses a boil. I was thankful that I had the Ro. We went through 8 bag of De last year and alot of defoamer, most years we use 3-4 bags of De.
    Blaisdell's Maple Farm
    started on a 2x2 pan in 2000 and now
    custom built oil fired 4x12 arch by me
    Thor pans Desinged by Thad Blaisdell
    4600 taps on a drop flue 8-4 split

Quote Originally Posted by Minnesota Tapper View Post
    Thanks for all the ideas. We've been using a 7" press for 3 years and have just outgrown it. We will have 900 taps again on high vac this season. On a good day we pull in just over 2000 gallons of 2-3.5% sap and r.o. that down to 12% and boil on a 2x6 raised flue at 40gph. I dont draw off fast enough to keep a 7" press hot much less a 10". Thats not my goal but I prefer to boil off an entire run which yields me about 40-70 gallons of syrup before I filter. I want to be able to reheat my daily 40-70 gallons, filter/recirculate until temp is 190 and fill barrels and the end of each day. 10" seems the only way to be able to do that. We sell 100% retail but I hot pack all my syrup in stainless in season and open as needed throughout the year. Just looking to save precious time during the season. I'll contact one of the dealers listed here.
    I think you need more evaporator capacity and not filtration. I can't imagine boiling for 10 plus hours and then still doing a reheat and filtration step after. And, doing another reheat and bottle process at another time. You would cut your time in half, or better, with a bigger evaporator. Plus you're losing syrup with every extra step.
    Ken
    Last edited by TapTapTap; 12-23-2021 at 04:06 AM.
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

Minnesota tapper, If you make 40 gallons a day or so, why don't you run your finished syrup in to a 20-30 gallon canner and then when that gets full heat it and send it through the press to a barrel. Then by the end of the day you could send the rest through the press.
    If it were me I would turn up the dial on the Ro to 18% and make it fun!! that would take care of the filter problem. Try turning it up a little at a time. At 12% that takes about 7+ gallon to make a gallon syrup, 18% is about 5 gallons to make a gallon. that would be at 40 gallon evap rate would make it 8 gallons of syrup per hour.
    Blaisdell's Maple Farm
    started on a 2x2 pan in 2000 and now
    custom built oil fired 4x12 arch by me
    Thor pans Desinged by Thad Blaisdell
    4600 taps on a drop flue 8-4 split

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Minnesota tapper, If you make 40 gallons a day or so, why don't you run your finished syrup in to a 20-30 gallon canner and then when that gets full heat it and send it through the press to a barrel. Then by the end of the day you could send the rest through the press.
    If it were me I would turn up the dial on the Ro to 18% and make it fun!! that would take care of the filter problem. Try turning it up a little at a time. At 12% that takes about 7+ gallon to make a gallon syrup, 18% is about 5 gallons to make a gallon. that would be at 40 gallon evap rate would make it 8 gallons of syrup per hour.
    I agree with Brian, I think you could change things up in your process resulting in more efficient boiling (fewer hours) and keep the press you have.
    Ken
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

I agree with some of the others on here. Your 7 inch should be more than big enough you just need to change up your proceedures a little. I am boiling for about 1300 taps with almost 1000 on high vacuum and my 7 inch press is not a problem. I am drawing off into a 40 gallon tank and when I have almost 20 gallons in it I pump it into my finishing pan, correct the density then send it thru my press to my barrels. I am using all 15s. much easier for me to move around the sugarhouse.
    First introduced to making maple syrup in 1969
    Making syrup every year since 1979
    3 x 10 oil fired
    Revolution syrup and max flue pan
    Almost 1300 taps total with 900 on high vacuum
    Bought first Marcland drawoff in 1997, still going strong.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12