+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Southern Ohio 2021/2022 Tis the season

well I've boiled off about 125 gallons of sap from my early taps and made a little over a gallon of syrup with a draw sitting in the pan soon as I start the next boil. Seems like a good start
    I tried to post a picture but it wouldn't let me
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

Buckeye Gold,
    Noticed you said you would check the taste after syrup cooled down, very smart in my opinion producers miss metabolism in there syrup because they taste it when it’s warm, lot of metabolism syrup made every year, two times in the last 5 years I’ve tasted syrup in sugar camps that was eaten up with metabolism, first off I’m not the syrup policeman, and second I can make bad tasting syrup with best of them! My standard line when I taste bad syrup in someone else’s camp! “I can’t taste syrup because I’m a diabetic,” Yes a lie! But it get me out the door before I offend someone, One fact in the producers world “My syrup is the best” If you believe that then your the one making bad syrup, I say that because that is the standard line used when someone said there are no crazy people in my family, if you believe that then it’s you��
    Mark 220 Maple
    1100 taps on low vaccum, 900 on gravity.
    900 plus taps leased and on high vacuum
    35 cfm Indiana Liquid Ring Vacuum Pump
    80% Sugar, 20% Red MAPLES
    http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/g...Maple%20Syrup/

thanks 220 Maple, I wish I figured out cold tasting myself but someone said it at one of the maple conferences and I remembered it. It is definitely true and the colder the better for taste test. Now, my syrup is the best you ever tasted....just had to say it LOL . I guess the only opinion that matters is the consumer. I think your right there is a lot of off flavor syrup packed as good every year. My wife is the offical taste tester. She has a really sensitive pallet and is very picky, if she doesn't pass it, it stays at home. I have had people tell me they really don't like Maple syrup and I have found out they had bought bad syrup. I often give them some and usually they come back for more and say, "that's nothing like what I had".
    Last edited by buckeye gold; 01-12-2022 at 05:15 AM.
    125-150 taps
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

Tapped 3 this evening just to check. They were dripping pretty good!! Exciting!!

Boiled 4 times now off my early taps. Got a surprise run night before last and had 50 gallons of sap off my 50 early taps. Made 3 qts of syrup off it. Right at 3 gallons of early syrup so far. Looks like my all in date is around the first of February.
    125-150 taps
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

Made about a quart and a half off of some really fresh and apparently high % sap this past week. Was the lightest color finished I've ever done. Hope y'all flow like crazy this week!!

Good report esetter, So far my early taps are preforming really well. If that's a precursor to the regular season then we'll all be tired and happy. No runs this week until later on, just too frozen right now.
    125-150 taps
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye gold View Post
    Good report esetter, So far my early taps are preforming really well. If that's a precursor to the regular season then we'll all be tired and happy. No runs this week until later on, just too frozen right now.
    Been awesome flow down here. Looking really good over the next week. Just out of curiosity , do you have much luck out of the red maples , especially the interior woods red maples up there?

Quote Originally Posted by esetter View Post
    Been awesome flow down here. Looking really good over the next week. Just out of curiosity , do you have much luck out of the red maples , especially the interior woods red maples up there?
    Back when I done buckets I knew what each tree done, but I Have been on tubing for a few years. When I done buckets it was hit and miss on interior red Maples. They done less for sure and some would not give any sap. I had a couple that just gushed and I never understood why. I tap them all now under natural vacuum and figure it's worth tap to get whatever they give while I'm taking a line around them anyway.
    125-150 taps
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

Looking at our forecast, I am planning on going all in next Monday 1/31/2022. Will tap my main bush of 110 and still keep the 50 early ones in for 160 total.
    125-150 taps
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast