+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 50 million pounds of syrup released!

Quote Originally Posted by taptaptap View Post
    fred,

aside from de and jugs, do you see any shortages of looming?

Ken
    i dont have many shortages. When things started to go backwards i was ordering more. I have most of what my customers in ohio and i need. Sounds like your dealers dropped the ball.

Manufacturing never stopped, but it might have gotten slow. Problem is 90% comes from over seas so there's the whole California b.s. Regulations that are stopping the trucks from coming into the state and hauling out containers. Im buying containers of glass from europe at an 8 month advance and plastic jugs 13-18 months out. Its very trying times but i pray the worst is almost behind us!!!!!
    Fred Ahrens
    330-206-1606
    Richards Ohio Maple Equipment
    Ohio CDL sales rep
    LaPierre Dealer
    H&M maple fabricator Dealer
    Service Tech/repair for all brands and electronics

don't take life too serious, nobody gets out alive anyways!

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    i dont have many shortages. When things started to go backwards i was ordering more. I have most of what my customers in ohio and i need. Sounds like your dealers dropped the ball.

Manufacturing never stopped, but it might have gotten slow. Problem is 90% comes from over seas so there's the whole California b.s. Regulations that are stopping the trucks from coming into the state and hauling out containers. Im buying containers of glass from europe at an 8 month advance and plastic jugs 13-18 months out. Its very trying times but i pray the worst is almost behind us!!!!!
    Our dealers are working hard for us here in Vermont!!

I guess our dealers grabbed that ball and took the matter into their own hands. We have one dealer here that bought a labeling machine and ordered 3 tractor trailer loads of plastic jugs that were available but only without labels. Apparently, a main supply chain problem is lack of labor to install labels which is very labor intensive. You see it sounds like figuring out solutions (rather than hoard buying and blaming regulations in CA) gets better results for us consumers.

I also understand that the dealers are limiting purchases of DE to prevent hoarding.

Ken
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

Strategic supply or no, I'm raising my price this year. Glass has gone up, fuel, electricity, and food too. Firewood can't be far behind and labor is more difficult than ever. It's a luxury product, created by people who often work like slaves...it SHOULD be expensive!

I don't think we should ever be calling pure maple syrup a "luxury product". It is a premium product that is expensive to produce but should never be considered a "luxury.
    First introduced to making maple syrup in 1969
    Making syrup every year since 1979
    3 x 10 oil fired
    Revolution syrup and max flue pan
    Almost 1300 taps total with 900 on high vacuum
    Bought first Marcland drawoff in 1997, still going strong.

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    Easy…do it like squirrels. Climb to the upper branches, nip the bark with your teeth, wait for the sap to flow and dry into sugar crystals by the sun, then lick it up. No plastic - no metal - no fire - no glass. Very “green.”

What other questions you got?
    I must say I love the answer Dr. Perkins. It does create another question for me though. Were do I take a course on training an army of Squirrels? If we can training them have you worked out a way to train them to leave the tubing alone?

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by ecp View Post
    Were do I take a course on training an army of Squirrels? If we can training them have you worked out a way to train them to leave the tubing alone?
    Start with training young children and then work your way down to dogs, cats, then squirrels.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12