+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Aargh -stripped the threads on maple butter machine

Default Aargh -stripped the threads on maple butter machine

Feared it would happen sometime,should probably not take the funnel off. CDL maple butter machine has a stainless funnel and a brass pump. Getting ready for a show last weekend where I make butter on site,didn’t notice that the funnel was going on crooked until it was too late. Tore some brass threads out,now will have to either send machine back to CDL or maybe visit a machine shop to retap the threads
    7th generation maple producer in sugarhouse built in 1892
    2x World Champion Maple Syrup Producer
    1250 taps on cv adapters
    Leader Vortex 3x14 with Max Flue and Revolution Syrup Pan,Enhanced Steam Away
    www.leggettmaplesyrup.com

If it was me I would certanily try a local machine shop if you want it fixed any time soon.

There is no pressure at that connection so you could run a pipe tap into the existing threads and re cut the out of shape damage. Then I would make a bottoming tap by cutting off the end of a tap and then you can run that in just a touch further.................the problem then is the thread becomes somewhat loose, because a pipe thread relies on a 7 degree taper to "lock up" So a tiny bit at a time and test out your connection often. As Upsmapleman says a machine shop certainly can do that and the advantage being they will have a milling machine to line everything up for that cut. After that you should consider using a stainless union and a close nipple in the funnel connection then you can take apart anytime, Jay
    Zucker Lager

+ Reply to Thread