+ Reply to Thread

Thread: COVID-19 pricing/ gouging

Default COVID-19 pricing/ gouging

Prior to COVID-19,could go to local TSC store here in Canada and pick up the corner post insulator that Leader carries for about $2.49 each. It’s what I use at the end of my mainlines to screw into the tree ,then tighten the wire on the insulator. Now post COVID-19 the price has skyrocketed to $24.80 EACH!!!!!!!! That’s not a typo,just an example of a rip-off that I won’t be a part of.
    7th generation maple producer in sugarhouse built in 1892
    2x World Champion Maple Syrup Producer
    1250 taps on cv adapters
    Leader Vortex 3x14 with Max Flue and Revolution Syrup Pan,Enhanced Steam Away
    www.leggettmaplesyrup.com

Is that for just one or a pack of 25?
    2004 - 2012 2x3 flat pan 25 to 60 taps
    2012 2x3 new divided pan w/draw off 55 taps
    2018 - didn't boil surgery - bought new evaporator
    2019 new SML 2x4 raised flue high output evap. 65 taps
    made 17 gal. syrup
    2020 - only put out 53 taps - made 16.25 ga.l syrup
    2021 - Didn't work out
    2022 - 25 taps on bags / 8 taps on 3/16's line - late start

That’s for one!! I see online that TSC in U.S sells a pack of 4 for $21.99, still quite a markup from what it was,but not near as bad as here in Canada
    7th generation maple producer in sugarhouse built in 1892
    2x World Champion Maple Syrup Producer
    1250 taps on cv adapters
    Leader Vortex 3x14 with Max Flue and Revolution Syrup Pan,Enhanced Steam Away
    www.leggettmaplesyrup.com

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce L View Post
    ...but not near as bad as here in Canada
    Maybe you can make a trade with someone for prescription medications, in which case the gouging is in the opposite direction and has been for decades.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Very interesting read, even though I skimmed it. The only thing I'll add is the time you will lay the freshly filled containers on their side. If it was addressed and I missed it, sorry, but I far prefer to lay them for at least 30-60 seconds. While 5 might be OK, 30 is more certain to kill any mold spores, and mold spores are on everything.
    Your enthusiasm reminds me of myself in my first season 19 years ago. I started with a half pint, bought used. I started with mini tubing systems, most were 2-3 taps into a 5 gal cooking oil jugs that had been thoroughly cleaned that I had gotten from a local Chinese restaurant. In the caps I made a hole by heating a tapered rod and melting a hole, I tried drilling and never got a good hole without major breaking. Under the cap I placed a hose clamp to prevent the tubing from pulling out. I then emptied 2x each day, hauling a carrier on the back of my 4x4 compact tractor. I had several extra jugs. I could fit 12 jugs in my carrier. I took in 12 jugs empty. At each collection point, if a jug was under half full, I unscrewed the cap and poured the sap into an empty on my carrier, then replaced it, if a jug had half or more in it I swapped for an empty.
    I started with 27 taps, after 1 day's flow I said "I can handle more" and added taps, doing it a few each day, until I got up to 79 taps. At that point the sap really started to flow, so every jug was full or overflowing each time out. I had outsmarted myself. I was boiling 24 hrs a day, my wife covered when I was at work (I then drove school bus thus lots of time during the day) and we took turns sleeping. I got so far behind that some sap spoiled. I had never even considered finding someone to give or sell the sap to.
    My suggestion is be careful on how many taps you set unless you line up a buyer to sell or give some to. Have fun, and don't grow too fast, enjoy the journey! box of 50 drive in hooks used by utility companies for less than $1 each. These are the ones that you see on utility poles, made to drive in with a hammer but threaded for removal. I drilled a 5/16 hole into a tree, then hammered them in. I attached the mainlines in such a way, that I could pull it closer to the tree, unhook the line, back the hook out 2-3 turns as needed then re-hook. They worked very well. The only issue was that they came in boxes of 50. link: https://www.comstarsupply.com/aerial...re/j-hook.html I see they list now at $1.90, don't know what quantities, check it out.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    Very interesting read, even though I skimmed it. The only thing I'll add is the time you will lay the freshly filled containers on their side. If it was addressed and I missed it, sorry, but I far prefer to lay them for at least 30-60 seconds. While 5 might be OK, 30 is more certain to kill any mold spores, and mold spores are on everything.
    Your enthusiasm reminds me of myself in my first season 19 years ago. I started with a half pint, bought used. I started with mini tubing systems, most were 2-3 taps into a 5 gal cooking oil jugs that had been thoroughly cleaned that I had gotten from a local Chinese restaurant. In the caps I made a hole by heating a tapered rod and melting a hole, I tried drilling and never got a good hole without major breaking. Under the cap I placed a hose clamp to prevent the tubing from pulling out. I then emptied 2x each day, hauling a carrier on the back of my 4x4 compact tractor. I had several extra jugs. I could fit 12 jugs in my carrier. I took in 12 jugs empty. At each collection point, if a jug was under half full, I unscrewed the cap and poured the sap into an empty on my carrier, then replaced it, if a jug had half or more in it I swapped for an empty.
    I started with 27 taps, after 1 day's flow I said "I can handle more" and added taps, doing it a few each day, until I got up to 79 taps. At that point the sap really started to flow, so every jug was full or overflowing each time out. I had outsmarted myself. I was boiling 24 hrs a day, my wife covered when I was at work (I then drove school bus thus lots of time during the day) and we took turns sleeping. I got so far behind that some sap spoiled. I had never even considered finding someone to give or sell the sap to.
    My suggestion is be careful on how many taps you set unless you line up a buyer to sell or give some to. Have fun, and don't grow too fast, enjoy the journey! box of 50 drive in hooks used by utility companies for less than $1 each. These are the ones that you see on utility poles, made to drive in with a hammer but threaded for removal. I drilled a 5/16 hole into a tree, then hammered them in. I attached the mainlines in such a way, that I could pull it closer to the tree, unhook the line, back the hook out 2-3 turns as needed then re-hook. They worked very well. The only issue was that they came in boxes of 50. link: https://www.comstarsupply.com/aerial...re/j-hook.html I see they list now at $1.90, don't know what quantities, check it out.
    Dave, I think you posted in the wrong thread
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

+ Reply to Thread