• Vernon Downs , how many

4 23.53%
  • neither this year

4 23.53%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: which conference in NYS?

Default which conference in NYS?

Since there will be 2 conferences this Jan for NYS, one at Vernon Downs in Vernon, NY, and a second at the NYS fair grounds in Syracuse, NY I'm trying to get a feel for how many are going to each. They will both be Friday Jan 7, evening and Saturday all day Jan 8. If you have decided, please show,
    #1 State Fair one or both days
    #2 One each day
    #3 Vernon Downs one or both days
    #4 neither this year.
    Thanks for your input. If you are going, please state which, #1-4 and a count of how many will attend.
    Dave AKA maple flats
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Why 2 on the same day??
    2x3 Patrick Phaneuf Divided Pan
    Homemade arch
    RB20 RO Bucket
    121 taps total
    Sugar Shack in future
    Wife into it as much as me
    Also do homebrew

http://s928.photobucket.com/albums/ad121/ZMANSYRUP/

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by Z/MAN View Post
    Why 2 on the same day??
    Excellent question.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

sounds like someone with a grudge? not a good way to move forward in the maple industry.
    Fred Ahrens
    330-206-1606
    Richards Ohio Maple Equipment
    Ohio CDL sales rep
    LaPierre Dealer
    H&M maple fabricator Dealer
    Service Tech/repair for all brands and electronics

don't take life too serious, nobody gets out alive anyways!

Also interested in the reasoning for two. That might determine my answer. Also my selection will probably depend on courses, dealer attendance etc
    CDL 2x8
    Around 4000 taps
    Polaris ATVs, Ski Doo snowmobiles to get around
    Atlas Copco pumps
    Lapierre two post RO

http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/j...Sugar%20shack/

I don't know the inside details, but here's my understanding of how we got to this point. For years the event was sponsored by the NYSMPA and hosted at the VVS High School. It was organized and put on by the VVS FFA and their director. A few years ago there were issues between the director and the school. At that point the NYSMPA decided to move the event to the state fairgrounds and they contracted with the director to continue organizing and running it. A few months ago the NYSMPA discontinued their relationship with the director. The director then organized an event at Vernon Downs and began promoting it without support or involvement from the NYSMPA. The NYSMPA is planning and organizing their event at the state fairgrounds, just without the former director. I don't know what led to the director's separation from the NYSMPA or their prior separation from the school. This is all my understanding of how things transpired, but I don't know any of the inside story and I don't know how this will shake out. Unless someone can give me a solid reason why we shouldn't I would suggest we support the state association and the event at the state fairground.

Randy

Toad Hill Maple Farm

http://ToadHillMaple.com/

3650 Taps on Vacuum for 2010 & still expanding
    56'x64' Timberframe Sugarhouse - New for 2011
    3x10 Leader Vortex w/ Max Flue Pan & SteamAway
    1000 gph Leader Springtech RO
    777 Acres in the Adirondack Mountains

agreed Randy, stick with the roots unless they do something to compromise progress in the industry, which would not be likely
    Fred Ahrens
    330-206-1606
    Richards Ohio Maple Equipment
    Ohio CDL sales rep
    LaPierre Dealer
    H&M maple fabricator Dealer
    Service Tech/repair for all brands and electronics

don't take life too serious, nobody gets out alive anyways!

Randy has it in a nutshell. We are not at liberty to say more.
    Doug Thompson
    NYSMPA President

I have no details nor an opinion, but the fact is that 2 will be on the same day.If I had to hazard a guess and that's all it would be, I'm thinking that the one at Vernon Downs, In Vernon, NY was scheduled first while the NYSMPA was trying to decide if they'd do one this year or sit another year out because of Covid. Then the association decided to go ahead. Again, that's just my guess looking in from the outside.
    If anyone knows differently, please correct me.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I'm now seeing some results, with very few votes it now shows 75% state fair grounds, 25% Vernon Downs.
    However the numbers are so small this is very likely not a true picture yet. The numbers show 9 to the fairgrounds and 3 to Vernon downs. Lots more entries are needed before any true results can begin to stand out.
    Last edited by maple flats; 11-30-2021 at 09:52 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast